Unable to load Mac OS X after Windows 7 Install

Reaction score
Hello,
I need serious help with this. I am fairly new to Macs and very worried aboutt what I have done. I have a Macbook Pro laptop. I decided to install Windows 7 on it under a new partition. I see only the partition that I have created for the Windows 7 install which leads me to believe that the Mac OS X partition is still in the laptop, only that I do not know how to get to it. Whenever I reboot or shut down the laptop I am not prompted to choose either Mac OS or Windows 7, It automaticly goes to Windows 7. Please help, How do I get it to go to the option window to choose between Windows and Mac OS?

Thanks
Jrivas

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me ask you one quick question. Did you do it yourself or use Bootcamp to make the partition and install Windows?

If you did use Bootcamp, did you pick the correct partition to install Windows on?

Have you tried Holding DOWN OPTION right after the Start Up sound? Keep option down till the boot menu comes up. Do you see OSX and Windows there or just Windows?

OP
J
Reaction score
Unable to load Mac OS X after Windows 7 Insall

Let me ask you one quick question. Did you do it yourself or use Bootcamp to make the partition and install Windows?

If you did use Bootcamp, did you pick the correct partition to install Windows on?

Have you tried Holding DOWN OPTION right after the Start Up sound? Keep option down till the boot menu comes up. Do you see OSX and Windows there or just Windows?

Hello,
I picked the partition that was created with bootcamp. as I stated before the drive windows 7 was installed on is of the same capacity as the one I created with bootcamp (which was the only one). The only exception I did on the install, was that when it came to pick the partition, it said that It could not be loaded on that partition because it needed to be NTFS. So i formatted that partition only to be NTF. by doing that.. did I end up formatting he whole hard drive? because I do not see the the rest of the hard drive then.

Thanks for your help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try what I suggested and startup your Mac with the OPTION key held down after the Startup Sound? KEEP it down and the boot manager will come up. Do you see just one partition or both OSX and Windows?

Reaction score
Hi,

Did this issue get resolved? I have came across the same problem.
I have checked on disk managment and the original partition is still there. however I cannot access it, make it primary or any options when you right click on the partition in the windows 7 disk management tool.

I have tried holding Option/Command during boot up which takes you to the boot menu however there is only a Windows 7 option in the list.

Leigh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Then, it's likely that you formatted your OS X partition in error. Which version of OS X was installed on your machine? If it was Lion or Mountain Lion, you should be able to get into the recovery partition by holding down the command and r keys on startup. Let us know and we can go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very easy to select the wrong partition to format with BootCamp setup. As chscag stated, the Mac OS X partition ends up formatted NTFS. Important to print and read the guidelines first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.