Time machine running really slow

Reaction score
Hello, I have 15" MacBookPro6,2 running OS 10.6.8. I reinstalled everything yesterday as was so much stuff on here i did not need wanted to get back to basics. Restored from my time machine backup no problem. Now when i use time machine (via firewire on to a 500gig rugged drive) it's taking a long time. i scrubbed backup disk and started again. first backup was normal speed for the 250 or so gig. now when it does further backups goes very slow, like 5kb every 5 mins. gets to the end of the block it says its doing (normally around 40mb), then starts all over again, scanning files, says its backing up, and never actually completes a back up.

help! please?

Reaction score
My daughter has Time Capsule and it did the very same thing......run & run & never complete a backup

We finally figured out that Time Capsule was full. So what we did was erase Time Capsule and then start with a fresh backup. Once it was erased it backed up just fine, but the first backup took over night to complete.

OP
D
Reaction score
My daughter has Time Capsule and it did the very same thing......run & run & never complete a backup

We finally figured out that Time Capsule was full. So what we did was erase Time Capsule and then start with a fresh backup. Once it was erased it backed up just fine, but the first backup took over night to complete.

i'm not suing a time capsule - justa rugged drive via firewire. it does back up. eventually. but whereas before it said "calculating changes" and then would back up the say, 4 new gig of material, now it goes thru everything everytime and even 79mb will take several hours, and the another our to "finish up" and another hour to clean up..

Reaction score
Sounds like that is for sure taking too long. From what I know about TC, it backs up the whole drive the first time, then it backs up hourly for a day & then it goes to weekly (only new stuff).
I wish it allowed the user to specify when & what time to do the backups.
Maybe you should take your TC to an Apple Genius bar & see if they can figure out why yours is taking so long & why it tries to back up everything every time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.