• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

reinstalling classic

G

glevine

After having problems with Classic, I deleted all Classic related files and folders to completely remove it from the disk. I then popped in the "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disc and ran the app. During the installing, at the point where it said it was "Processing Classic support" and "writing files", and there was less than 1 minute remaining, the install automatically quit and I recevied an error message saying "there were errors installing the software."

Last week a user of this mac attempted to boot to OS X and got the following:

/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
-sh: /etc/profile: Not a directory
-sh-2.05b#

He then started up from a Norton SystemWorks CD in 9, but attempting to
switch to X again yielded the same error. One try booting from the Apple OSX CD also produced the above shell text message.

That's when I took over. I was able to boot into OS X once again. But networking and Classic wouldn't function. So I removed Classic and tried to reinstall it, and that's where I'm at right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

OP
G

glevine

I should add that I booted from the "Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test" disc to attempt to run the Apple Hardware Test. I received the following message:

No PMU or SMU found err: -2539
Initialization error -2539
**then what appeared to be some copyright, or similar, info**
Open Firmware 3.1.1
Type mac-boot to continue

I typed mac-boot, hit return, and I received a frozen screen with the following:

/pci/@d/pci-ata@1/ata-4@0/@0:5;\\:tbxi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.