display issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'm using a macbook pro and I usually use an external monitor display.

Earlier with Snow Leapord, I wouldn't turn off the computer. Just put it to sleep. When i woke up the screen all my windows would be in their correct spaces. No issues.

Since the time i've installed Lion, i'm unable do that.

When i wake up the monitor, i see half windows of some programs - sometimes the screen is blank. When i move from one space to another, also the same issue. So i have to shutdown - restart - open the 7 - 8 programs that i usually work on, one by one ..

Is anybody else having this issue? Or can anything be done about it?

Many thanks for the help - deeply appreciated.

Reaction score
hi hari.p, I recently crossed the floor from PC and bought a MBP 13. I have a Samsung T260 external monitor and Apple wired keyboard for Photoshop editing. Don't know if this is related to your issue, but after a good sleep the monitor and keyboard are not recognized. This seems to be a common problem with Mac portables. I have to unplug and re-plug the peripherals to get them to work again, a RPITA! But, quicker than re-booting etc. It seems Apple will never get this right, so I thought maybe they should supply mini-display to HDMI adapters as well as usb adapters with a little push button to momentarily break and re-make the connection. This is driving me nuts.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
hi hari.p, I recently crossed the floor from PC and bought a MBP 13. I have a Samsung T260 external monitor and Apple wired keyboard for Photoshop editing. Don't know if this is related to your issue, but after a good sleep the monitor and keyboard are not recognized. This seems to be a common problem with Mac portables. I have to unplug and re-plug the peripherals to get them to work again, a RPITA! But, quicker than re-booting etc. It seems Apple will never get this right, so I thought maybe they should supply mini-display to HDMI adapters as well as usb adapters with a little push button to momentarily break and re-make the connection. This is driving me nuts.

Not quite sure what is going on here yet but I don't think it is exactly a common problem I've used a similar configuration to what you describe (different Samsung monitor with both wired and wireless keyboards). I haven't had this issue.

Try going into your Utilities folder and launching an app called ""Console". Click on the System logs and look for any errors at about the time the system went to sleep or the time you attempted to wake it up. Let us know any error messages that appear.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not a common problem. I've used a Samsung external monitor and Apple wired keyboard with my MacBook for 3 years and never had that happen even after long sleep sessions. If the monitor and keyboard are not recognized after the machine wakes, there's something else causing it.

C

chas_m

I'm using Lion with two monitors and do not experience anything even remotely like what the OP is describing. Everything stays exactly where I put it.

Is there any chance that the second monitor is being powered down, which would cause the window reorganization to the main monitor?

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I will check Console next time it happens. Maybe it is not that common, but I did find various similar issues when Googling it. BTW I had this with Lion and Snow Leopard. My MBP came with a free Lion upgrade which I installed. After 3 weeks getting all my programs cross-graded and re-installed my new large format Epson 9890 would not work as the drivers were not yet ready. This meant a complete re-install of S. Leopard. After another 3 weeks getting everything right, it works perfectly. This week the Lion drivers became available. I just knew that would happen....... Bummer!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.