Apple TV or Roku?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Hope your guys can aid me in finding a perfect gift for my friend. She has been nothing short of wonderful.
Her home has (1) windows-based computer and (1) new i5 imac.
She has 13 and 8 yo.
Which is a better product: Apple TV or Roku?
Thanks so so much for your help

Reaction score
I think you'd have to know what she'd use either device for. Would it be to rent movies/TV shows? Netflix streaming? If so, either would be fine.

Does she have an iTunes library? If so, the AppleTV might make more sense.

1 big consideration...does she have the network infrastructure to support streaming? Or can she hardwire the device to her router? Getting either of these devices could open up the need for other purchases (such as a new wireless n router).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, more info about the intended use wil help.
That said, look at the Netgear NeoTV 550, which can be found for less than ~$100 now and is better than either in my opinion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That Netgear looks like a nice unit for local streaming - which the Roku doesn't do at all - and the ATV does "only" if all your content fits into the iTunes format "box" - does it do any online content at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
The Netgear? Yes, if you connect to Ethernet you can can access Youtube, and all manner of net radio. There will be Netflix compatability further down the line too.
I have mine connected via Ethernet to my Airport Extreme, and can stream all of my iMac's content (and eveything on it's connected external drives) to my TV without a stutter. I have only had problems with one or two AVI's which must have some weird codec.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Couple of the Amazon reviews sound pretty good as it will play B-R ISOs. Sounds like it may not get Netflix from one of the reviewers that has been re-posting after firmware updates and news there. Netgear already has another device with Netflix, Vudu, CinemaNow and a few others. Still, looks to me like it could well be a good fit as a setup with two $100 devices - this one for your local content and another that's doing the online content - and a lot cheaper than a dedicated computer.

Noticed it does mkv and a few other formats, didn't see anything about Divx content though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't tried Divx to be honest. I guess because it's considered old (ish) now, but it is in it's supported formats list.
I love the full BD Iso feature, as it means you get full working menu's, with a much faster access time than on disc. You can also play DVD iso's with full navigation and menu's. It is without doubt one of my favorite bit's of tech (oh and plays from iTunes on my set up too, with full album art display, if that's your bag).
There is a very good support forum too. The only issue's I have had personally are with Youtube videos failing to play due to changes in Youtube's site itself. Netgear are very quick with updates though.

For anyone interested, the supported formats:

• Codec format:
- H.264 [email protected] to 1080p
- VC1 MP@HL, AP@L3
- WMV 7/8/9
- MPEG-2 MP@HL to 1080p
- MPEG-4 Part 2 ASP@L5 to 10 Mbps (Xvid)
- MPEG1/2/4 SD
- H.263

• Container format: AVI, Xvid, MOV, MP4, MPEG2-PS, MPEG2-TS, DVD ISO/VOB/IFO, MKV, ASF, AVCHD, DivX, WMV, M4A, M2TS, MTS, MP1, MP2, MPG, DVR-MS.

Blu-ray (external USB Blu-ray player not supported)

Auto 24fps support
DVD support with Full Menu & Navigation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That Netgear looks like a nice unit for local streaming - which the Roku doesn't do at all - and the ATV does "only" if all your content fits into the iTunes format "box" - does it do any online content at all?

When you say local streaming, I take it you mean wireless streaming? Because otherwise, you can hook up a USB hub and connect several external drives and play AVI and Mp4 files as well as Mp3 files from there.

The Netgear looks to support a lot of other formats though, which is nice, but the lack of Netflix is kind of strange IMO.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say local streaming, I take it you mean wireless streaming? Because otherwise, you can hook up a USB hub and connect several external drives and play AVI and Mp4 files as well as Mp3 files from there.

The Netgear looks to support a lot of other formats though, which is nice, but the lack of Netflix is kind of strange IMO.

Doug

That is correct, wireless streaming.
It has 2 USB ports for connecting external HD's or a hub, though there can be issues with it seeing drives on hubs.
I think the Netflix issue is partly down to this be a universally sold product, that's to say there is no difference between Euro and US zone products, and we don't have Netflix. Also, as pointed out, Netgear have other Netflix products. They have said it will come though.
I wonder if it will work with other streaming services though. I will look into it.
We seem to have hijacked the thread a little! Sorry OP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.