HELP! Ipad photos to my macbook

Reaction score
I have the first iPad and i am wanting to to transfer my pics that are on there to my new macbook.
I tried transferring them when i connected the iPad to the mac but i'm afraid that i will lose them. THe iPad has not been updated and i do not have them backed up anywhere else

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you back up the pictures first before attempting to transfer them to your MacBook Pro? Do you have a camera connection kit for your iPad - assuming it's an iPad 2? Read this LINK to learn how to transfer photos with the camera connection kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
He says he has the first iPad so I don't know if that negates the use of the camera connection kit. What I always do with my first gen iPad is connect via the USB cable and open the Image Capture Application installed with OS X and import the photos that way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The kit won't work with the original iPad. See if you can use the suggestion by member milessthomas instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have a gen 1 iPad. The camera coonection kit works fine. Used it many times.

But I agree with some of the other posts. Syncing with iTunes should be fine but for piece of mind use the OSX Image Capture app to copy the pictures to a folder first.

Then update/sync your iPad in the knowledge your pics are safe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a gen 1 iPad. The camera coonection kit works fine. Used it many times.

Thanks for confirming that. I wasn't sure it would work with the original iPad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.