macbook sleep trouble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
Hi

I have a 2.0ghz core duo macbook (core duo not core 2 duo) running latest Snow Leopard and over the past few days it seems to have developed a sleep problem.

The LED Pulse light doesn't pulse anymore and for a while that hasnt made any difference to sleep behaviour but now when the macbook goes to sleep i.e shutting the lid it doesn't seem to wake up properly.

When I open the lid the screen stays black and I have to press the power button to get it to come back on and when I do that it goes it a resume state (grey screen and scrolling bar on bottom). It works ok after that but my battery icon doesn't reset itself... it gives a false reading sometimes even saying there is no battery there at all!

Can someone help get my macbook to wake up properly again!

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
About the only thing I can suggest trying is to reset the SMC. If that doesn't work, you may have to live with it. I would not be inclined to spend much money on repairs for a machine that old.

OP
Stuerror
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook now seems to randomly shut down :s it has a 3rd party battery in it and since putting it in it seems to have caused this to happen.
It had a broken official battery in it for a while and it was running off the mains with no trouble then when i put this 3rd party battery in it doesn't wake from sleep and randomly shuts down... can 3rd party batteries cause this prob?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Third party batteries, especially the less expensive knock off versions can be troublesome. Whether or not it can cause that specific problem, I don't know. I would hate to recommend spending $100 or so on a new battery and it wasn't the problem. If you can buy a new battery and return it for a full refund if it turns out not to be the cause, then go ahead and try that.

OP
Stuerror
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've done some tests and im pretty sure it's the battery causing the problem.
Whilst the macbook is plugged into the mains I have no trouble with it at it doesn't randomly go to sleep and always wakes up when the lid has been shut.
However, removing the charger the battery icon seems to behave oddly (sometimes it doesn't display battery at all and other times its displays its still charging).

I ran the "Yes" command test in terminal and left it at full CPU usage for around half and hour and the laptop ran fine. This confirms to me that it hasn't got an overheating problem with the sensor thats causing it to go off.

Battery it must be... I shall try my other macbook's official battery in ti for a while and see if it suffers the same fate

OP
Stuerror
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
re seated the battery and it locked into a better position (3rd party batteries don't fit aswell as genuine ones) now the laptop hasn't gone into random sleep and wakes up properly. I also managed to put a battery update on it and battery life seems to be alot better

Reaction score
Chrome error

I have the same problem on my MBP. After a lot of analysis and experimentation I have come up with a few conclusions:

If I perform a forced stop of the machine (power button for 15 seconds), then restart, I get the problem that a lot of other people get - a very long period of blue screen before the machine finally shows the working screen.
However, If I leave the machine powered down for about 10 minutes, then restart, it restarts normally (and quickly).
Incidentally, OS-X appears to be working during the period of blue screen as I can hear mail arriving while in 'blue screen mode'.

So, what's causing the failure in the first place? I have started my machine from cold and started up various programs, one at a time, closing the lid after each program. Each time I closed the lid I checked that the sleep light was pulsing. What I found was that Google Chrome was O.K. until it accessed a web page, after which the machine went into the 'black screen' light permanently on with the lid closed mode.
Having established that Chrome was causing the failure, I did a forced shut down and then restarted (after the 10 minute wait). I then started Applications/Utilities/Console to show the console log.
Look in the log from the end, backwards, until you find the line that contains:
01/04/2012 15:53:56 com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
The line before that is the last command logged to the console.
What I found was that this was a line containing the following error:

01/04/2012 15:08:00 [0x0-0x26026].com.google.Chrome[362] [362:-1281806336:1429821337932:ERROR:block_files.cc(459)] File too small /Users/......../Library/Caches/Google/Chrome/Default/Cache/data_1

Googling this error suggests that it is a known error. It appears to be the thing that locks up OS-X and stops it from sleeping. Of course, there may be other programs that cause similar lock-ups, but this certainly appears to be a good candidate for the problems I'm encountering.

There are a few things of interest here.
1. How do we stop this error from happening?
2. Why does the machine start up VERY slowly following a forced restart?
3. Why does the machine start normally if the restart is delayed - after all, if the machine is not actually running, a delay shouldn't actually do anything. But, on my machine, IT DOES!
4. What is it that stops OS-X from displaying the running screen for about 5 to 7 minutes while showing the blue screen?

Anyone got any brilliant suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.