Preferences gone!!!

Reaction score
I this is stupid but I accidentally deleted some of my preferences while trying to clean out some of my iMac. I tried to downgrade to 10.6.1 from 10.6.8 because it was giving me problems. I have a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo if that helps. I am now using 10.6.1 and Safari 4.0.5. Everything runs great except for the fact that I can’t access the “Keyboard” in my System Preferences and strange things happen on my Safari when I hit certain keys on my keyboard. For example: I have to hit tab twice to go to the next text window and if I hit the spacebar while in a text window, the screen scrolls all the way to the bottom. The computer also remembers what I typed last in the windows and automatically defaults my curser to the end of what text is previously remembered in that window. When I try to delete it, it doesn’t let me delete anything because if I hit delete, it goes back a page. Very frustrating. And I haven’t set up my time machine so I can’t go back. If I try to access my “Keyboard” in the System Preferences, it crashes my System Preferences. Can someone please help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Bad things always seem to happen when downgrading. It's never a good idea to downgrade your version of OS X without doing a clean install. What kind of problems were you having that caused you to downgrade in the first place?

The only thing I can suggest is do a Time Machine backup first, erase your hard drive, and then reinstall Snow Leopard. Recover your data from Time Machine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Very slow speeds and I went into the preference folder and actually got rid of files by accident. I have done this before but when I downgraded, it must have done something to my keyboard functions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A re-install should restore everything to the way it was before you downgraded. You will need to do that from your Snow Leopard DVD, Disk Utilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.