Screen problem with my macbook pro?

Reaction score
Hi All,
So I got my macbook pro a few weeks ago. It's a 15" and the october 2011 model. I have recently started having problems with the screen. Whenever I open the lid, the screen turns on but immediately turns to the lowest brightness setting. I have to press the "increase brightness" button to get the screen to turn on again. This only happens sometimes. I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm planning to take it to the Apple Store in the near future. But until then, I thought I'de post something here. Thanks for your help in advance.

-vfxrishi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Perhaps it is set to automatically adjust brightness?

screenshot20111123at651.png

OP
V
Reaction score
It was set to that. I unchecked it but the problem persists. I think because I had set to "automatically check for password after sleep", the screen kept going dim after I opened the lid. I unchecked that box & the problem appeared to fix itself. But whenever I set the security to "automatically check for password after sleep", the problem arises once again. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Well, I believe that at least we know it's not a hardware issue that's causing the problem. I guess you're right, you can just pay any nearby Apple Store a visit and check what's going on with your notebook.

By the way, just to make sure and be certain, if you have a Mac OS X DVD, insert it and run a hardware test. It's nothing to worry about and you don't really have to do it, but it's just to be 100% sure that everything's in check before paying the Apple Store a visit about your problem.

Here's how you do it: Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.