• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

unable to launch classic

G

glevine

Background: Mac G3 normally runs under OS X with QuarkXPress 4.1 in Classic mode. Quark acted up last week, so I restarted as usual and with only QXP open I got an Out Of Memory warning. I then changed the startup disk to OS 9 and this helped Quark to function (so I could finish my work!). But ultimately I wanted to be back in OS X so I
switched the startup disk back to OS X. That's when this message appeared:

/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
-sh: /etc/profile: Not a directory
-sh-2.05b#

I found some instructions on the Apple support site and followed them for fixing that issue. I can now successfully boot to OS X.

New issue: I can't launch Classic from OS X. Each time I've tried to launch it the progress bar shows very minimal progress and it never moves. I attempted to repair the permissions for both OS 9 and OS X, but that didn't help. I also noticed that I cannot connect to my network since getting OS X running again. I was hoping that someone might have an idea of what to do before I just gave up and reinstalled OS 9. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.