Data back-up with USB drive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm exploring options for backing up the data on my iMac (2011 OSX Lion). I've explored the wireless time capsule option which looks good, but I'm running a business and so ideally need two separate back-up devices that I can alternate between and keep offsite (in case of fire, flood etc).

I understand that when you use a Time Capsule, Time machine will only add new/changed files (i.e it doesn't do a complete re-write of existing data) - is this the same when using a standard USB back-up drive?

Appreciate the help.

A

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understand that when you use a Time Capsule, Time machine will only add new/changed files (i.e it doesn't do a complete re-write of existing data) - is this the same when using a standard USB back-up drive?

Yes. Time Machine will work the same way with a standard USB external hard drive. If you need a complete (full) backup each time, you might consider using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Both can do a full scheduled backup to an external hard drive or Time Capsule.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.