Restoring from a different backup;

Reaction score
Right, I don't know how this happened or why but its ruined my iPhone.

I woke up yesterday morning to find my iPhone had removed all my downloaded and purchased apps, just leaving me the default apps the iPhone comes with and the new iOS5 apps.

I connected my iPhone to my MacBook and it started copying all my apps back to my iPhone but I had to rearrange all my apps to how i had it before.

I didn't really get too angry about this. What follows did make me angry;

I have lost all my levels etc on my games. For example, I apparently haven't completed Angry Birds. All my levels have been wiped off, same in Fragger, Amazing Breaker etc etc.

I've found a backup from Saturday for my iPhone which I want to use to restore my iPhone to, but how do I do it?

When I right-click on my iPhone in devices in iTunes on the left it doesn't give me the option to do so. It gives me one choice of backup which I cannot use because it will send me back to when the iPhone had no apps on it etc.

The backup i've found is from the backup folder in mobile sync in the library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Right, I don't know how this happened or why but its ruined my iPhone.

I woke up yesterday morning to find my iPhone had removed all my downloaded and purchased apps, just leaving me the default apps the iPhone comes with and the new iOS5 apps.

I've never even heard of an iPhone spontaneously restoring itself to factory status. Are you sure you didn't use the "Erase all Content" option in the Settings? Were you updating iOS 5.0 to 5.1? Is there anyone else in the house who could have pulled a prank on you?

<snip>

I've found a backup from Saturday for my iPhone which I want to use to restore my iPhone to, but how do I do it?

With your iPhone plugged in to the computer, select it from the left column in iTunes, then… ah here's a tutorial:
Step-by-Step Guide to Restore iPhone. - MacRumors Forums

OP
N
Reaction score
I had already installed the new 5.1 update. I set my clock alarm and went to bed, woke up and it had gone. I only live with my girlfriend who barely knows how to use her own iPhone.

I've checked out the tutorial but the backups that are available to me in iTunes are no use.

Most recent backup is of the current data i've got which is all games but no save game data and the other two on option are from 2010. I've found backups in the mobile sync folder that are of use to me but they are not displayed in iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.