Getting latest software version for iphone 3gs

Reaction score
Hope am posting in the correct place.

Anyway I am trying to update my iphone software from version 4.1 to 5.0.1 but unfortunatly I had my phone jailbroken while I was overseas and realised I could not use a local SIM.
The idiot who did it did not inform me of the implications of him doing that to my phone would be me not being able to update etc

Is there any way I can update my phone, I am sick of not having the latest versions of the software while my husband is going on about all the cool new features :[

Have even tried downloading the new version and pressing Alt + Restore but it just wont do anything

Help pls

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And what is the error message when you click on the 'Update' or 'Restore' button in iTunes?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You sure that is not a 3G instead of the 3GS?

If it is a 3GS, then I'd say you'll need to take it into an Apple store and ask them to restore it. If your phone is also unlocked for use on a network other than AT&T, that will probably break your unlock also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Are you saying that you want to update your phone to 5.0 and still maintain the jailbreak/unlock? Or are you saying that you want to update and restore the phone to the factory settings even though you know you will lose the jailbreak/unlock?

OP
F
Reaction score
pretty sure its 3GS and I am not in the US.

my phone was purchased through my mobile carrier Optus here in Australia

i do not care what is done to my phone re lock or whatever i just want to be able to press update in itunes and have my phone update normally without a multitude of hassles

OP
F
Reaction score
pretty sure its 3GS and I am not in the US.

my phone was purchased through my mobile carrier Optus here in Australia

i do not care what is done to my phone re lock or whatever i just want to be able to press update in itunes and have my phone update normally without a multitude of hassles

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.