More Lion 10.7.2 "Resume" Issues!

Reaction score
I don't think Lion's annoying feature to automatically re-open applications is anything new now. Unchecking "Restore windows" in general preferences and "Reopen windows when logging back in" helps quite a bit. But there are still times when Lion surprises me by randomly activating its resume feature in very strange ways! Here are two examples:

1. One time after waking up from sleep, it reopened a text file I chose not to save almost a week ago!
2. I double-clicked a zip file to extract a movie (the only file in the zip file), it did that but at the same time it also reopened a picture file I viewed in Xee two days ago!

I almost had a heart attack when these things happened. I mean, if I bring my MacBook to work, who knows when Lion is going to embarrass me big time!

Did those happen to you, too? What is going on? Is there a more reliable way to disable the resume thing? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel MacBookPro 15" Lion OS. iPad2, iPhone 4S, + 13" MacBook + eMac + G4, fanboy since 1985
There's nothing new under the sun, you are not alone. My MacBookPro simply decides after waking or restarting to open either a window or an application I'd had running either 2 hours before or 2 weeks before. I finished a University essay 2 weeks ago, done, dusted. I use my MacBook every day, but on Saturday when I restarted, it brought up the whole Uni folder and also booted up Safari, which I never use !

My wife has a new MacBook, she's had it perhaps 3 weeks, this too was driving her mad, but turning off the re-open option cured it, I've yet to hear her say that Lion has started the random open windows thing, but I'm expecting it anytime soon. Not many days go by when I shake my head and think "why did I upgrade". Snow Leopard was sublime, no pinwheel spinning either, just happy days <sigh>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Wonder if this is a problem limited to MacBooks and MacBook Pros? Using a Mac Pro have never seen any window open at any time. simply boots, or wakes, to desktop. Perhaps you guys may be better served doing a clean install of Lion?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've had it happen here also on the new iMac. Lion is quirky sometimes. The King of the Jungle is hungry.... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.