My Samsung Blu-Ray

Reaction score
Hi guys..

been noobie to all things Mac I've got a problem.

I bought a samsung SE-406AB blu ray drive. Only thing is with windows I'm use to plugging in waiting a minute hoping windows update works and bobs ur uncle. Howeer nothing has happened on my mac and the drive isn't installed.

Anything i can do to get it to install?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's installed as soon as you plug it in properly.

As to whether it's mounted or not, have you opened up Disk Utility to see if it is showing there?

I am guessing you're waiting for it to pop up on the Desktop? Won't do that unless you have your preferences set to show it on the Desktop.

Open up 'Finder - Preferences - General' tab and put a check next to 'CDs, DVDs and iPods'.

Want it to show up in the sidebar of Finder - head for the same place but the 'Sidebar' tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've got a 'bare' Samsung Blu-ray drive and it does just appear on the desktop.... but it has to have a disc in it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've got a 'bare' Samsung Blu-ray drive and it does just appear on the desktop.... but it has to have a disc in it.

That's the same with any external optical drive or even a USB external floppy drive.... unless there's a disk in it, it won't show on the desktop. Unlike Windows where it does show, disk or no disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.