Help! iMac Stuck on Start-up

Reaction score
Hi All

I have an iMac PPC G4 running 10.5.8

When I turn it on I get the start-up bong, briefly I get a grey screen then it turns blue and then I'm stuck with the multi-coloured spinning wheel.

I'm totally clueless as to what to do!

Can anyone suggest any fix?

Regards
Raff

OP
R
Reaction score
Update.

Just tried restarting again and got to the enter password screen and entered my password, pressed enter and it's stuck on the spinning wheel again.

Confused??????

OP
R
Reaction score
Another Update.....

Only yesterday I put the 'require password' option on. I now can't get past this without it freezing. Is there anyway I can bypass this? I'm sure if I can do this the desktop wil load and it'll work like before????

Reaction score
Sounds to me like your operating system boot has corrupted. Your files are safe, but if you have not done a backup, you will need to gather them by using another computer.

There are two paths you can take towards fixing your operating system:

1) Re install Operating System.

This is the easiest path to take. There are quite a few guides on the internet for you to view.

2) Try to repair operating system.

This will consist of you finding out what file or files have been corrupted and replacing them with a fresh copy. This is the more advanced path which I do not recommend.

Hope this helps,

Trolly Mc Trolls ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got your system install discs? pop the disc in and reboot holding down 'C' and see if you can get it to start. Do not commence Install, but go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for the response

I took it to the Genius today and he suggested the same thing. I have my stuff backed up and have the original Tiger discs. Then I can update to Leopard from there, however.....

I've put Disc 1 in and powered down. Restarted holding down C and nothing happens. Same blue screen and spinning wheel. I can't even get to start of the install. I've used an external LaCie drive and the iMacs built in drive!!!

Totally bewildered!!!!!!!

I'm inserting Disc 1

OP
R
Reaction score
I have an ibook, is there anything I could do with this to get the install disc to load?

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok this is where I'm at....

Got the iMac in TDM with the FireWire Symbol floating round the screen.
On my iBook I can see my iMac's HD
I've inserted the Tiger Disc 1 into the iBook and it's showing up
I clicked to Install but it tried installing it onto the iBook which it can't cos it's running Leopard.
Where am I going wrong?

I need some Valium. Help

OP
R
Reaction score
Please help, I think I've tried everything.

Yesterday my iMac G5 PPC running Leopard 10.5 and without any previous problems decided to just stay stuck on the blue screen with the spinning wheel.

Today I took it to an apple Genius today he advised me to re-install Tiger and they (very kindly) sending me the Leopard upgrade for £18.00.

I've just inserted the original Tiger Disc 1 and holding down C but nothing happens, same blue screen and spinning wheel. I tried using my LaCie external drive to get it to recognise the disc but same blue screen.

Next I put the iMac in Target Disc Mode connected by FireWire to my iBook G4 PPC. My iMac HD shows up so it's still there.

Just to check the disc I connected the external drive to the iBook and the Tiger disc shows on the desktop so it's not the disc.

I tried to boot the Tiger disc in TDM from iBook but no joy and I don't know how to do this or even if it's possible.

Need some Valium or has anyone got a clue how the **** I can get Tiger back on my iMac so I can then upgrade to Leopard when Apple send it?

I've reset Pram etc and still no joy. I have my stuff backed up with Time Machine so a clean install is cool. But how?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just an educated guess here.... but it sounds like the hard drive in your G5 has seen better days. Might be time to swap it out for a new one. Shouldn't be that difficult to do on a G5.

Edit: And please do not start a new thread. Let's continue with the original, OK? Threads have been merged.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok sorry for starting a new thread just wanted the whole story in one post.

The HD in the iMac is perfectly fine. I had a new one fitted 6 months ago. The Genius at Apple confirmed this today.

Reaction score
If it is a possible for you, you may need to format your harddrive.

Insert it into another computer, run a format.

Start fresh. Install your selected Operating system and your symptoms should disappear.

Out of curiosity, could you post what error messages/number you're receiving in the blue screen?

All the best,

Trolly Mc Trolls O:)

OP
R
Reaction score
Update...

I don't get any messages just blue screen and spinning wheel.

I managed to get Tiger to start loading and it goes through all the usual but when I get to the point where I restart and insert 2nd disc I just get the blue screen and wheel again.

I powered down and up again holding option key and did Apple Harware Test which took around 45 minutes. Results...

Airport: Passed
Logic Board: Passed
Mass Storage: Passed
Memory: Passed
Modem: Device Found
Video Ram: Passed

Clicked on Restart again and guess what......?

BLUE SCREEN & SPINNING WHEEL!!!!!

I don't even think a technician at Apple could do more to sort it out!

I'm at a dead end. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I don't even think a technician at Apple could do more to sort it out!

I completely agree with you and suspect that your old boot is still causing problems.

If you have not already, can you do a full format (completely clear the hard drive) then install your operating system.

Do you see the same result?

My next advice for you would be to try booting from a different hard drive before purchasing a new one.

All the best,

Trolly Mc Trolls :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.