email account hacked, what to do?

Reaction score
MBP 15" early 2008. Just for fun, on 11/11/11, I DLed and ran Sophos Antivirus Home Edition on my MBP, and lo and behold there were two threats that were removed. I have rerun the scan, and it remains clean.

However, today a whole bunch of unauthorized emails were sent using my gmail email address info, and my MBP was actually powered completely down when it happened. I have rechecked my MBP with Sophos. Nothing. The ONLY other machine that has my email account information on it is my iPhone. Any other computer I use the web-based client for Gmail.

Gmail did recently send me a warning message that my account had been having suspicious activity and they shut down my access. I went directly onto the site and put in a new password. Everything has been fine since, until today.

AFAIK, there are no virus scanners for iPhones that have not been jailbroken.

I have also checked the PC side of my MBP with Avast. It's clean also.

Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Thanks.

SpikeDDS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt you're infected with anything. More likely your GMail account has been compromised and is the launching pad for a SPAM bot. When that happens it's best to ask Google to shut the account down and just create another. Only this time use a strong password. You can have your mail forwarded from your old account to the new one until you get everyone notified of your new email address.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have had that account for many, many years. I DON'T want to change my email if I don't absolutely have to. Would changing the password (which was a strong one, BTW) be enough?

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Should be - using a minimum 9 letters with a combo of Caps, numbers and characters.

Reaction score
I have had that account for many, many years. I DON'T want to change my email if I don't absolutely have to. Would changing the password (which was a strong one, BTW) be enough?

Thanks.

i would highly recommend changing your password.

i assume that you have done that by now, but that is the first step when your account is compromised (any account, not just email).

also, i would login and setup the security questions/cell number for your account.

that way if your password is compromised (not just the account) you have 'admin' access to change it. w/o setting up this information, google/gmail has no way to believe that you are the actual owner of the account.

some people setup 2 step verification, but it has been said that it is overkill, for some people, it is a personal preference.

How it works - Accounts Help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.