Getting New MacBook Body?

Reaction score
MacBook (5,1) 13-in Aluminum, Late 2008 model, Precision aluminum unibody case

my MacBook's body is getting on in it's days. my poor darling has the klutziest owner, unfortunately. i'd like to get it changed, without doing it myself or going to any repair shop other than an actual Apple store. the local Apple 'retailer' is absolutely the worst and i'll never trust them with my computer again, so there's no chance in anything i'll be going to them or even ordering any parts from them. our Apple store is around two hours away, but it'd be no problem going if i'd really need to.

so, i was mostly wondering if apple did these sorts of repairs or if it's relatively simple to replace the body? i, as klumsy as i am, am able to repair PC hardware and have experience with it. i just don't want to damage a $1000+ computer, hah!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
An '08 MB is probably worth about $500. It'll run you about $300 for both the upper and lower cases. That's parts only.

And since you're not

... doing it myself

or

going to any repair shop other than an actual Apple store.

or taking it to

the local Apple 'retailer' is absolutely the worst and i'll never trust them with my computer again, so there's no chance in anything i'll be going to them or even ordering any parts from them

I'd say you're stuck with living with what you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.