2012 macbook pro optical drive

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
I think what Jaygray is trying to say is that CD/DVD optical media is a dying format, much like floppy discs and VHS tapes aren't really out there anymore. Sure some people may use them and I'm sure lots of people have tons of them (I myself have a lot of VHS tapes) but that hasn't stopped technology from advancing and making them obsolete. Everyone panics with the mention of not using something they are accustomed to but once they new wears off of not having it and people get more accustomed to downloading, digital content, cloud computing, etc they will enjoy the change and see that physical CD/DVD media is just not needed because the new method can be much easier. CDs and DVDs will still have uses though, don't get me wrong, but the majority of the time they are not necessary anymore.

i agree they are dying but it is still a major part of computers i understand we have hdds ssd cloud servers but they still serve a huger purpose like you wanna burn a cd for you car you cant car / motorbike theory dvds cant play them because they are only available on dvd thire time will be up but not anytime soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Most radio players have moved into offering audio input and iPod integration. I've seen several that don't have any CD players at all, just a dock for an iPod behind the face plate. Why carry 50 CDs and have to swap them when you can just carry an iPod/mp3 player. DVDs and Blu-Rays come with digital copies so they can be easily transferred onto computers and viewed much easier on other devices because of this. Apple didn't just create the App Store and release Lion as "download only" for no reason. They are pioneering the way for a new digital experience without the need for optical media. I can access my documents on thumb drives instead of writing to a cd, or better yet use cloud services, remote access, etc. Trying to desperately cling to a form of media that has seen it's day come and soon to be ushered out with the rest of the media types that aren't used anymore is simply holding onto the past for no good reason. The MacBook Airs have been so successful this time around because of the path digital media continues to take. I understand CDs and DVDs will still serve a purpose and be around for a while but I see no sense in perpetuating a system like that when a faster and cheaper alternative is readily available.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
Most radio players have moved into offering audio input and iPod integration. I've seen several that don't have any CD players at all, just a dock for an iPod behind the face plate. Why carry 50 CDs and have to swap them when you can just carry an iPod/mp3 player. DVDs and Blu-Rays come with digital copies so they can be easily transferred onto computers and viewed much easier on other devices because of this. Apple didn't just create the App Store and release Lion as "download only" for no reason. They are pioneering the way for a new digital experience without the need for optical media. I can access my documents on thumb drives instead of writing to a cd, or better yet use cloud services, remote access, etc. Trying to desperately cling to a form of media that has seen it's day come and soon to be ushered out with the rest of the media types that aren't used anymore is simply holding onto the past for no good reason. The MacBook Airs have been so successful this time around because of the path digital media continues to take. I understand CDs and DVDs will still serve a purpose and be around for a while but I see no sense in perpetuating a system like that when a faster and cheaper alternative is readily available.

cloud is good for companys but for average user is a waste of time if ur internet is down you cant get to ur data as you are downloading it from a storage centre i agree using a ipod in a car is easer than disks but carrying a £200 ipod everywere / storing it in the glove box vs leaving £20 worth of cds left in a glove box is a mutch safer bet what thief is gona steel a few rip cds in conjunction of a ipod you might loose / be stolen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.