2012 macbook pro optical drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15" i7 2.2 8GB ram late 2011, Ipod touch 4g 8GB,Ipad 2 16GB
why are so many people anti optical drive in the 2012 macbook pros? why do people want the optical drive taken out why pay £1550 for a macbook pro without a optical drive then its just an expensive macbook air why pay £50 for an external and carry that around when you can have it built in the macbook is the entry mac the macbook air is the portable mac the macbook pro is the power house of the notebooks if you don't use a optical drive get the air or a £200 net book taking out the optical drive in the macbook pro would make it a macbook air.

Reaction score
It's becoming less and less of a need for most users. You can buy a 8GB thumb drive for $10 and have the same amount of storage. Most programs you can download over the internet. I personally have only used my MBP's disc drive once to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I would rather have a lighter/cooler/cheaper machine. Freeing up the internals would most likely help those 3 things happen.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's becoming less and less of a need for most users. You can buy a 8GB thumb drive for $10 and have the same amount of storage. Most programs you can download over the internet. I personally have only used my MBP's disc drive once to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I would rather have a lighter/cooler/cheaper machine. Freeing up the internals would most likely help those 3 things happen.

i fully agree with lighter /cooler and cheaper the reason the pro runs hot is because the gpu and cpu are on the same heat sync so the heat from the gpu goes through the cpu this was just bad design and the vents were the heat is expelled is only 1cm high witch is not adequate to cool and i7 chip as far as weight`it would only save 400 grams max you would hardly notice it if your paying 1500 pounds or 1799 dollers you want as mutch as you can get for you money not less in my view take out the optical drive its just a macbook air pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You're getting upset about your guesses about the prices of a product that is rumored to come out next year.

Why don't you file your argument away in your Stickies for when this rumored product actually comes out, and there are actual facts to debate? Trust me, rumors about Apple products are wrong more often than they're right.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're getting upset about your guesses about the prices of a product that is rumored to come out next year.

Why don't you file your argument away in your Stickies for when this rumored product actually comes out, and there are actual facts to debate? Trust me, rumors about Apple products are wrong more often than they're right.

i am not upset in any way shape or form i am just trying to understand why so many mac users are against optical drives i am all for lighter cooler and faster but why take away features & abilities and pay an extra £50 for an external dvd drive the mac mini they took out the dvd drive then people are paying a extra £50 for and external dvd drive i just want to know why people are anti dvd drives built in and then are willing to buy an external

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could you point to one reviewer, one article or one blog where someone has come out as "anti" optical drives or stated they "wanted" the optical drive removed from the MBP or otherwise "against" optical drives? I have not seen those. Not even as I sit here typing on my MBA that does not have an optical drive.

I'd suggest you're barking up the wrong tree.

Having an understanding that there are a great many people that do not need a particular thing, does not equal being "against" that thing.

Since you're talking about optical drives, I have 2 Macs here with optical drives that have not had a CD or DVD touch them except for an OS disc in at least 3 years. I personally use 3 Win boxes at the office - none of the boxes I use there have had an optical disc inserted into them in at least 5 years. This is definitely not the case with my Win7 HTPC.

However, I can certainly see that there would be a great many users that have absolutely no need for an optical drive today when everything is available via download and even with hard drive prices on their way back up currently, still a better option than backing up to disc.

Why should everyone pay for something that not everyone wants or needs?

But, as Tech pointed out above, this is all useless talk as rumors with Apple products, more often than not, end up being just that... rumors that never come to fruition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
quite honestly, my nearly 2 year old MBP, I've used the optical drive maybe, 5 times. I'd much rather it wasn't there, and could have 2 hard drives for instance. I'd be fine with an external on the desk for when I need one.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@bobtomay here are some quotes

I pray that the odd gets removed it's so pathetic. Everyone who cries for one is a big baby. Just get a super slim external it looks cool too. What? Need a drive all the time? Heck if you do you need a desktop. Removing odd will help make it slimmer. Ivy bridge is going to be amazing and that's what apple is waiting for IMO. Steve is going to pair the all new mbp body with the new CPUs and be able to claim 9-10 hrs battery life or more which will be huge. Or maybe he's waiting for the gpu shrinkage too? Then maybe 10-12 hr claims?

When steve jumps into a lake he doesn't get wet. The lake gets Steve Jobbs.

Because the last redesign was October 2008.

The best thing would be the removal of the ODD - taken it's place a better heatsink/fan operation for cooler operating temperatures, AND a way bigger battery. Imagine using that 1/3 of the current size for a 1/3 increase in battery capacity.

Its funny how people keep saying make it thinner. The MBP is already thinner, better built and better looking then most laptops on the market. I say keep the design remove the ODD, add a bigger battery, Ivy bridge, better graphics, SSD, 3 or 4 USB 3.0 ports, thunderbolt and then separate audio in and out ports on the 13" version

All computers to carry HR displays, IB, one TB port, 2 x USB 3 and SD (except 11").
MBP to carry above, plus:
*one x FW 800
*discrete graphics
*dual drive, SSD/HDD setup
* NO ODD

that would be PERFECT! if only they remove the odd too

these are just a few all want odd out

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quite honestly, my nearly 2 year old MBP, I've used the optical drive maybe, 5 times. I'd much rather it wasn't there, and could have 2 hard drives for instance. I'd be fine with an external on the desk for when I need one.

you can buy kits were you can take out the odd and put a second hdd or a ssd in i just think is unfair to make people who use the optical drive go and buy a external drive when its been in every mac and is in a 200 note book most people who need extra storage use a hdd tower its easer to carry a 250gb hdd than a optical drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
you can buy kits were you can take out the odd and put a second hdd or a ssd in i just think is unfair to make people who use the optical drive go and buy a external drive when its been in every mac and is in a 200 note book most people who need extra storage use a hdd tower its easer to carry a 250gb hdd than a optical drive

Yep! It's called a Data Doubler from Other World Computing. I'm using it right now on my MacBook Pro. It's real nice! I believe one of the biggest reasons why the superdrive might be leaving soon is because, as of right now, it is the sole hardware on the Macbook Pro line that can't get thinner unless you remove it. The use of disks on-the-go is seldom when the use of disks in general is unbelievably low for general use. Apple has already moved OSX to usb/web installs, so no you technically don't need it unless some program only has the option of installing via a disk, or a game. Also, there is so much potential to be had with the space that the superdrive takes up.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep! It's called a Data Doubler from Other World Computing. I'm using it right now on my MacBook Pro. It's real nice! I believe one of the biggest reasons why the superdrive might be leaving soon is because, as of right now, it is the sole hardware on the Macbook Pro line that can't get thinner unless you remove it. The use of disks on-the-go is seldom when the use of disks in general is unbelievably low for general use. Apple has already moved OSX to usb/web installs, so no you technically don't need it unless some program only has the option of installing via a disk, or a game. Also, there is so much potential to be had with the space that the superdrive takes up.

personally i think its thin enough its sexy stylish and classy i accept dvd is not as popular as it one was but realistically all the macbook pro woul need is a bigger exhaust port the gpu and cup on separate heat sync bigger space between usb ports and a usb 3.0 and the macbook pro would be epic add more not trade features is the way to go the thinner means less strength

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
thinner means less strength
Assuming it's a regular PC notebook that's put together from many pieces. Have you held a MacBook Air yet? Doesn't get more sturdy than that in my opinion!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming it's a regular PC notebook that's put together from many pieces. Have you held a MacBook Air yet? Doesn't get more sturdy than that in my opinion!

yes i have what im saying is if you make the aluminium lighter aka thinner you reduce the structural strength fact. the macbook pro has a higher structural strength because it has a thicker body ive seen vids were the macbook pro 15"/13" had been ran over and still booted up and was virtually intact.

C

chas_m

It seems you haven't addressed the main point that everyone in this thread other than you has been making: the average person really doesn't use the optical drive all that much anymore.

I just picked up an 8GB thumb drive for $12 at my local DRUGSTORE. I enjoy not having to a) vastly increase the internal heat of my computer with the spinning drive and b) know I'm not adding innumerable silver discs to landfills all the time.

I have an external burner I picked up somewhere for less than $20 and a case I picked up for about the same amount some time back. I have tended to use it on the odd occasion when I needed to burn something rather than the internal optical drive because if the external one craps out, who cares? But if the internal one craps out, that's an expensive fix.

The bottom line is that logic dictates that as people stop using a product, it shouldn't be included as standard equipment. Optical drives are now largely in that category. Put another way, when was the last time you bought a car with standard transmission? Or a phone with a dial? Or a TV with a knob on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well there's a name I recognize from afar.

I think the move from optical has pretty much already happened. I haven't received a cd/dvd from client in probably at least 2 years. One of the bands I'm in, we are considering a vinyl run, then a download code for mp3s,or usb keys with lots of content.
no cds, because people only rip them anyways.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems you haven't addressed the main point that everyone in this thread other than you has been making: the average person really doesn't use the optical drive all that much anymore.

I just picked up an 8GB thumb drive for $12 at my local DRUGSTORE. I enjoy not having to a) vastly increase the internal heat of my computer with the spinning drive and b) know I'm not adding innumerable silver discs to landfills all the time.

I have an external burner I picked up somewhere for less than $20 and a case I picked up for about the same amount some time back. I have tended to use it on the odd occasion when I needed to burn something rather than the internal optical drive because if the external one craps out, who cares? But if the internal one craps out, that's an expensive fix.

The bottom line is that logic dictates that as people stop using a product, it shouldn't be included as standard equipment. Optical drives are now largely in that category. Put another way, when was the last time you bought a car with standard transmission? Or a phone with a dial? Or a TV with a knob on it?

i agree odd are not as popular as they were 3 years ago but they are still a part of our day and will be for years to come. i buy cds from hmv and play.com i like to always have a hard copy so if they take out the odd i will be boned i will sell this pc when and if i get the new mac pro so i will have cds and no way to rip them to my itunes because i dont have a odd. and i live in the uk so manual gears aka transmission are standard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
If you took the optical drive out, there would be room to add a 3.5" floppy drive and an internal 56K modem! Weren't those standard issue on all laptops a few years ago? What happened to them?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you took the optical drive out, there would be room to add a 3.5" floppy drive and an internal 56K modem! Weren't those standard issue on all laptops a few years ago? What happened to them?

lets keep reson im mind floppy disks have been obsolete for ages disks are still apart of tec dvds, cds, software, ect.... still use disks nothing uses floppy as much as alot of people will hate this disks will be hers for decades to come because movies games family albums still come on disks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that's what that cheap usb external optical is for.

If apple pulls the optical I think they're right in this. Portables are getting more portable, and very few people really use the optical especially in portable anymore. I give the optical about 5 years MAX. And it will be as dead as the floppy every was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I think what Jaygray is trying to say is that CD/DVD optical media is a dying format, much like floppy discs and VHS tapes aren't really out there anymore. Sure some people may use them and I'm sure lots of people have tons of them (I myself have a lot of VHS tapes) but that hasn't stopped technology from advancing and making them obsolete. Everyone panics with the mention of not using something they are accustomed to but once they new wears off of not having it and people get more accustomed to downloading, digital content, cloud computing, etc they will enjoy the change and see that physical CD/DVD media is just not needed because the new method can be much easier. CDs and DVDs will still have uses though, don't get me wrong, but the majority of the time they are not necessary anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.