Issue with Lion and Apache with PHP includes

Reaction score
Hi there..I have a strange issue. I have an AIR with LION and turned on Apache and installed MySql. Everything seems to work OK until I use an INCLUDE with PHP. At that point, I just get a blank page on the browser...I take out the include statement and works OK. I know I am using the right syntax as i put the script on a different server and it works fine.

So I am really confused. I dont even get error messages.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Would you be able to post here what your include statement looks like?

To me it sounds like there is an error or warning and Apache is configured not to display those.

Something to check: on that blank page, display the page source. Is there any sort of html code in there or is it empty?

OP
G
Reaction score
This is all that is displayed

<html>
<head></head>
<body></body>
</html>

As for the line of code that is doing it... it is this:

include 'includes.php';

I also tried this:

include ('includes.php');

and this

include ('../includes.php');

Sometimes, when I refhresh, I also get the prompt of what I want to do with the file (Open or Save).

Weird.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firebug won't notice anything since it focuses on HTML, CSS and JS.

Have you tried including different files? Are you trying to include something that you installed by chance?

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah...tried it with different files, in different locations, with different things. Once I link a file it does nothing.

Is there a way to turn on error reporting on Apache or something? If I had an error message..at least that would be something...

OP
G
Reaction score
Also... it is nothing I installed. I am just linking a file that has functions in it that i can call later (Like Headers etc..). The weird thing is it works fine on the webserver that is on our cloud server...just not the MacBook Air localhost.

Reaction score
Perhaps a rights issue on the folder with the scripts?? Dunno, but that's the first thing I'd check on a Windows server...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Dumb question..you have enabled Apache and MySQL..does that automatically give you PHP? I think I had to specifically modify the Apache configuration to enable the PHP shared library and restart it..

Seeing what you are seeing without having the PHP libs loaded makes sense..

OP
G
Reaction score
OK..so I found out the issue. 1) The error logs for Apache are your best friend :)...

2) For some reason, for PHP, I could just <? and ?> to break in and out of the script language on my web server, but on the LION apache version I needed to have <?php and ?>.

Strange, but I got it to work. GO figure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.