Preview losing white background during drag & drop

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having a strange issue in Preview app on Mac OS Lion.

When I drag an individual page from a Preview doc it loses its white background and instead looks like a Photoshop doc in Transparency Mode with a white and grey checkerboard background (see attachment).

How can I get the white background to stay, or put it back in if necessary???

I guess I could do so in Photoshop, but this shouldn't be occurring :|

View attachment Chekerboard Background.pdf

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no checkerboard background here. Looks just like it should.

OP
R
Reaction score
Is this checkered?

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing . . . is it checkered???

Screen Shot of Checkers PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That was my Win machine at work - now on a Mac - the pdf still looks just fine.

Don't really have a clue what's going on with it when you open the single page you've dragged out of the original pdf there. Am wondering if the file you're trying to do this with may have some sort of DRM on it.

Have you tried doing it with a different multi-page pdf file to see if it still happens?

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I am dragging a page from the sidebar in Preview to my Desktop, that's all . . . nothing special. This is very odd and I've tried googling it but it seems to be an issue particular to my computer.

I've also tried deleting all pages forward and backward of the page I need and the single page again shows up checkered (on my computer), but not in Quick Look.

This is from a 96 page Sibelius (a music program similar to Final) doc which I "printed" as a PDF. So I thought I'd try another document. The same thing occurred when I took a single page from a manual for Final Cut Express.

I may have to flatten in PS as suggested at Macosxhints Forum and report to Apple Bug Report. If I find a solution I'll post back :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.