Guest account home folder recovery possible?

Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry to bother you but I am looking for answer for the question in the title. I did some online research but I saw only thread and answers for bug when you switch between accounts and your data is lost from your main account.

I have different problem. My coworker reinstalled Mac and said to me I can use guest account. Now when I read few things online I see thats stupid and we should have created new one for me. Anyway I was happilly working for three days on my guest account and was saving all my work to desktop. This morning I came in and didnt see anything on folder. I thought I accidetnally worked on my coworker account and tried to switch accounts but saw a warning that all files will be deleted so I didnt do it.
It seems to me someone just logged off the guest account and all my work had been deleted. I didnt have a clue it works like this and I wouldnt be dumb enough to log out when warning like this appears.
I will make my own account on Mac to prevent this BUT I would like to ask IF there is some way how to get the data which were saved on the guest desktop back. I didnt save anything on harddrive yet so the data should be there.

Is there any free recovery software around who can restore my folder from desktop? Are there any fine solutions to my problem. If I cant get my data back I would have to work another three days for 12 hours a day.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

OP
H
Reaction score
I forgot to post my computer preferences.

It is Mac pro 5,1
Mac OS x 10.6.8
Quad processor

The FILES in the desktop folder were mainly TIFF screencaptures /stiil images/ which I did in Final cut pro.

Hope thats enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are no free data recovery options available that I know of. You can try Disk Drill, which you can try for free to see if your files are recoverable, however actual recovery will require that you buy it.
Free Mac data recovery software > Recover lost data with Disk Drill!

You should also avoid setting up any new accounts or otherwise writing to the drive as much as possible. Doing so risks overwriting the space any recoverable files are on and make it far less likely you'll recover them.

C

chas_m

The short answer is no, that work is gone for good.

Guest accounts are temporary accounts. They delete EVERYTHING that was stored on them the moment you log out. Period, end of story.

lifeisabeach's answer is incorrect, because a guest account is DESIGNED not to retain anything -- at all -- that is placed in that account, so unlike a normal account there is NOTHING that can recover any info -- because there was never any info saved on the hard drive in the first place.

As you've yourself learned, what you really want is your own separate account. Or better yet, your own machine. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Chas Chas Chas…. I don't know if you didn't understand my post, or don't understand how recovery software works, or don't understand that files made in Guest are in fact temporarily stored on the hard drive, but my advice was spot on, as I shall now demonstrate:

I logged into my Guest Account, created a new text document, saved it to Guest's Desktop. I then logged out of Guest (and in the process got the prompt that all would be deleted, which I confirmed); logged back into my usual admin account; then ran Disk Drill. The screen shot attached speaks for itself.

Chas_wrong.jpg

OP
H
Reaction score
I can confirm that Disk Drill can definitely recover some data in case like this. I am done deep scanning and I am gonna purchase the pro version to recover the files. I am not sure how much of them will be actually recovered but some of the work I did I was able to see as preview after deepscan. Thanks for tip and I will inform you with the succes ratio after I do the recovery.

Reaction score
Confirmed

After reading this post I tried the Disk Drill recovery system and it worked for a video slideshow I had saved on a guest account that got deleted. The free version allowed me to see that it could be recovered as well as preview the file, and the upgrade to recover it cost $89. Worked perfectly!

C

chas_m

lifeisabeach:

the correct answer is c: I didn't know that files made in Guest are in fact temporarily stored on the hard drive. Well, I did know they were temporarily stored, but I thought they were wiped when you logged out. I should have assumed that like a regular account, the entry is just deleted in the directory and those files can ... for a short time ... be recovered.

You were correct, I was wrong. Sorry about that, apologies to the OP, and thanks for teaching me something new.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I didn't think of that possibility. I assumed the files were gone rather than it behaving like other accounts. Bet this is a rude awakening for anyone trying to use that to keep things secret.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And responding to a two year old post yet.... However, I suppose it's never too late to admit to something. Good show chas. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.