AppleTV needs an iTunes application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have used the first generation AppleTV And then upgraded to the AppleTV 2 when it was released. I loved them both, but I feel like there is one key feature missing. The AppleTV shouldn't need to rely on a computer with iTunes for files that are on a network. The AppleTV should have its own iTunes application that can work independently. That way the AppleTV can stand on its own as a device. It would be nice if it could sync up with iTunes on individual computers as well, so that the iTunes databases on all devices are up to date.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Apple TV 2 doesn't have enough storage to keep its own copy of media files, so another computer hosting the library is essential. However, I do think that requiring iTunes to be open on the computer hosting the media before the ATV2 can access them is ridiculous. There should be a server running in the background.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
The files don't need to be stored on the ATV2 itself. The ATV just needs to keep track of what files you have, where they are, and if you've watched them or not. I don't keep any of my media on my computer, and iTunes has no problem managing the files (they are all on my network). An iTunes like application for the ATV should be able to work in much the same way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.