Error Partitioning New Harddrive

Reaction score
So i have a late 2009 macbook pro that had the old harddrive appear to fail. I bought a new harddrive but when i try to partition it I get a P01SX error: Cannot Allocate Memory. Ive tried using diskutil in Terminal but with no luck, I still get the same error. Ive heard that The wire ribbon that connects the harddrive to the board can fail. Any idea where I find one of these? I am not near an apple Store, nearest is 2+ hours away and I dont drive. Any ideas?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The SATA data cable likely has nothing to do with that error. How about telling us what kind of hard drive you purchased? Also, some more info about your MBP would help - like which version of OS X you're running and how much system memory you have.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm running snow leopard with a a 640 gb Samsung harddrive. I'm willing to bet is the cable because when I use the hard drive though a USB (externally) Im am able to partition and install snow leopard and boot from it. However if the drive is installed interanaly it I cannot do anything, even boot the computer from the harddrive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
T
Reaction score
Im going to try and hopefully it works. Is there really a difference between the 13" and 15.4" macbook data cables? Only I can think of would be a difference in length?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I would get the one specifically for your machine unless the cable part numbers are the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.