Mac mini gradually slows down after RAM upgrade

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2009 mac mini which I recently upgraded from 2GB RAM (2 x 1GB hynix) to 8GB RAM (2 x 4GB patriot).

The problem I've been having lately is that when I turn it on, it starts up and runs very fast and then it gradually slows down until it is so slow and unresponsive that I have to restart.

I usually have photoshop, indesign and google chrome open together.

I have checked activity monitor and the memory usage isn't very high when this happens.

Any ideas on what could be doing this? Maybe the new RAM? How could I check it?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And what about CPU usage at the time?

OP
S
Reaction score
I had a look and the CPU usage is high when the system slows down. even when I close all programs, it still lags and I have to restart.

Can new RAM affect the CPU usage?

Reaction score
Same problem here!

Hi!

I`m having the same exact same problem with my 2010 Mac Mini.

I've upgraded from 2gb to 8gb of RAM and at first it was all flowers, but after some hours of usage, the Mini really gets slow. I only use Itunes, Safari, Mail App and some other light apps.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Frederico,

I haven't solved this problem yet. I have noticed when it slows down that the CPU usage is high and the RAM usage is not even close to 100%.

It only comes right when I reset. Still not sure how to fix it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep your Activity Monitor application open and monitor it closely. Something is eating up your CPU and causing the slowdown. And it's not the additional memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.