Imac g5 pre intel

Reaction score
How do I replace the chip in 2.1 GHZ power pc imacg5 that is 5 years old year before mac changed to intel which tool do I use to unscrew bottom as it doesn't seem to take a philips head screwdriver and if not what kind of torque do I need?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What CHIP are you wanting to replace? I hope not the CPU as that is not replaceable but soldered to the Logic board as is the Video.

Is that a 20" 2.1Ghz G5 iMac with the iSight camera? The Screws that hold the FRONT on by the RAM door are Torx. I can get you the size torx driver if you need that info. Inside are all Torx screws of different sizes.

Let us know what you are trying to replace. I have a complete service manual on that machine and own that G5 iMac also.

Also just to be sure, your iMac has the iSight Camera and is 2.1Ghz G5?

Will post that pic in a few.

OP
T
Reaction score
Replace ram

Hi Dennis

Thanks for responding I need to replace 1gb ram with a bigger2gb pc4200ddr5333mhz240 pin dimm that I purchased from OWR which number torx do I use and does it clip on as I see in videos on you tube for installing ram in an imac?

Jonathan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oh the memory cover. That has two screws, one at each end of the cover. The Memory is right behind that door/Cover. You do not have to take the machine apart. Let me find a picture and post it.

The screws are strange phillips type on mine but I used a small straight Jewelers driver and it works every time.

With a 2GB DDR2 Dim in that slot you will have 2.5GB RAM. Did it to mine and it really helped with all the apps that I run.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BE CAREFUL and not insert a driver in that one hole next to the center screw. That is the Ambient Light Sensor and you will damage it!!

Also if you have 1GB, There is 512 Megs soldered to the Logic board and another 512 MB in that slot behind the cover.

Ok here you go. Straight from the manual.

Tools
• Phillips #2 screwdriver
• ESD-safe workstation and mat
• Soft , clean towel or cloth
Preliminary Steps
Before you begin, lay the computer down so the panel is face down and the bottom is facing you.

Removing the Access Door
1. Raise the stand and use a Phillips #2 screwdriver, to loosen the two captive access door screws.
Warning: The ambient light sensor is located between the two screws, as shown in the graphic. Don’t mistake the ambient light sensor for a screw. Sticking a screw driver or other sharp object in the ambient light sensor could damage the computer.
2. Remove the access door.

Screen Shot 2011-11-21 at 8.55.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2011-11-21 at 8.56.50 PM.png

Reaction score
Convert Imac G5 from PPC to Intel

Hi,
I have an Imac G5 PPC 2.1Ghz & I was wondering if I can convert it to Intel by replacing logic board. Can I use a motherboard I have from an Acer laptop or do I need to buy a particular board.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You can't convert it. The motherboards are custom-fit and type. The video cables don't match, etc., etc.

Reaction score
Mac G5 PPC

Hi Thanks for quite reply,
Could I replace logic board with one from an Imac G5 Intel.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
G5 is a powerPC processor, Intel means with Intel processor. So, G5 and Intel don't go together.
These units aren't inter-convertible, because of different cables, etc. An iMac G5 - even when running - is only worth about $125. Buying all the parts and swapping would probably cost more than that.

Maybe you should look for a used Intel iMac?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another important thing to mention to your first question, You could not use a Non Apple (Acer) Board even if you could make it fit. You can not install OSX on anything other than Apple hardware without breaking Apples EULA and the DCMA copy write act.

Reaction score
Torque Size

I'm just taking apart my iMac G5 (iSight) so I can replace the LCD. I accidentally smashed it with a speaker (Yes, I cried). I was just wondering what size the Torque bit is. I've searched, and searched for a bit small enough, but they all seem to be too big. I can't seem to find the bit size information anywhere.

Anybody want to tell me? I'll be uber happy and stuff. And please don't go spew crap about excess junk that you think will make you sound smart (That's what I've always seen).

-Much happy,
Your friend,
With love,
Abracadabra,
See you later,
Love,
Kurt.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was just wondering what size the Torque bit is. I've searched, and searched for a bit small enough, but they all seem to be too big. I can't seem to find the bit size information anywhere.

Anybody want to tell me? I'll be uber happy and stuff. And please don't go spew crap about excess junk that you think will make you sound smart (That's what I've always seen).

First of all...it's a "Torx Bit"...not a "Torque Bit".:)

As far as finding the correct size bit. Just buy yourself a precision screwdriver set...such as this:

Precision Screwdriver Set - 33 Piece

It will contain just about anything you need.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not being one to debate the point with our learned staff, but Nick they are in fact Torx bits and not the torque power of an engine:-

I'm confused Harry...that's exactly what said in my post (1st sentence). They are called "Torx Bits"...not "Torque Bit".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good the plan to create confusion is bearing fruit!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.