Help! My MacBookpro won't start, how can I reinstall the disc?

Reaction score
Ok so first off I'm a brand new Mac user. Normally a pc kind of girl. So all the technology and terminology for Mac I do not yet understand (think Mac for dummies is what I need). I've had this Mac for a few months and within the last few days my main user authentication wouldn't work so id use the computer in guest mode. Then guest mode started getting slower. So I borrowed the Mac is install discs from a friend. When I tried to put them in, it froze my computer completely and now it won't get pass the apple logo thinking mode. I tried to reboot in safe mode and get an error io/5. I tried to hit option while restarting and the disc comes up but when I click On it, it goes to a screen with a bunch of writing that says to power off and reboot (which when I do the grey apple thinking screen pops back up). I don't know how to do anything else and can't sign in at all anymore. I'm getting frustrated and just need simple terms on how and if this is fixable. Can anyone pleaseeee help?

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, so I managed to get it started from safe mode (after several tries), is there a way I can run the install disk now to try and clean the computer? I was only able to sign into guest mode again, still not my main user.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, using someone else's install discs probably won't help as they're usually tailored to the machine they're sold with. I take it yours are lost or are otherwise unavailable?

Can you tell us a bit more about your MacBook Pro? Approximately age and version of OS X would help tremendously.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well my friends MacBook was same year, same model, same everything so figured the disc would work? Anyway this is what I pulled up about it Its a MacBook Pro using Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 with 2.3GHz Interl Core i5, 4gb memory. I don't know much else except it is a new mac, I bought it earlier this year brand new so I shouldn't be having these problems already. Then again, this is my first Mac so I know nothing. So, on a side note, I deleted the OLD administrator and created a new one and it now starts up BUT it starts up VERY slow (the thinking wheel keeps spinning and a blue screen appears before the sign inbut does eventually let me sign into the new admin). Things still seem to be running slow when using Safari. I'm up and running where I can use it now, but because its slow I'm pretty sure if I don't figure out how to fix things I will just encounter the same issues again. I did an update after erasing the old admin and have tried to reset several times with the same outcome each time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.