Time Capsule - what does Windows see?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13
Hi. I've just purchased a MacBook Pro and am considering buying a Time Capsule. My plan is to store all my files (photos/docs/music/etc) locally on my MacBook and back them up using Time Machine. However, my wife has a Windows machine and I'm not sure what access she will have to the TC and how the Time Machine back up files will present themselves to her, if at all (i.e. will she get a browsable file structure like windows where she can access all the docs, photos, music, etc from her windows machine)?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, neither you nor she will browse the Time Machine backup in that way.
Nor should you. That's a good way to corrupt your backup.

If you want to share documents, then share your documents, pictures, etc folders from your Mac.

You can store other stuff on the TC aside from the TM backup if you want to share in that way.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13
Thanks. I presume to share files with her I would need to have my machine booted up at the time she wants access, or alternatively do an extra file level backup of all the photos/music/docs/etc to the TC, separate to the time machine backup? I'd guess this will double the storage requirements on the TC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
She can easily use the router and any attached storage device, but won't see your backups.

To share files your machine would have to be on, or they would have to be stored on the Time Machine's drive separate from your backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
To share files your machine would have to be on, or they would have to be stored on the Time Machine's drive separate from your backups.

You meant to say "Time Capsule", not "Time Machine".

The Time Capsule is the device. Time Machine is the backup software. The Time Machine backup will not be visible on the PC, however, the drive inside the Time Capsule will show up on the PC just like an external drive and the PC will be able to read and write to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.