Mac compatible MP3 player that isn't an ipod?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have managed to convert my whole family onto Mac now, however my Dad wants an mp3 player for Christmas, but doesn't want an ipod (due to cost and the nano being too small for his eyesight).

Can anyone recommend a good mac/itunes compatible mp3 player that doesn't require downloading add-ons and extra software please??

Thanks!
Heaffer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Simply put, no. iTunes and iPods are synonymous with one another. No other Mp3 player was meant to be used with it like the iPod was. On the other hand, you could always download Songbird media player and use pretty much any other Mp3 player out there. But that defeats the purpose of your original question I suppose.

Sandisk, Cowon, iRiver and Creative are some options which still exist, but good luck trying to cover your criteria !

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You did say iPod so yeah the iPad and iPhone have the iPod feature built in without being an iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Almost any other MP3 player will work on the Mac, but not with iTunes, as mentioned.
They will appear as an HD icon, and you can drag and drop MP3's to them.
My daughter has an Archos player and we use it in this way. It's very sinmple, but just a pain when you need to update songs.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That all just backs up my argument to him to get an ipod!

he has little choice, Apple it is! :D x

Reaction score
Thanks guys! That all just backs up my argument to him to get an ipod!

he has little choice, Apple it is! :D x

Yay! Here Dad, have frustration for the holiday!

:|

If he doesn't want one for reasons then he won't like it and won't use it as often. I'd be a little mad if I were him and got something I specifically said that I didn't want.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well like I said, he didn't one due to cost (the classic) or because it's too small (the nano).

He didnt want me to spend so much money for the classic and he was trying to save me money. But it is my money and he is worth it, so I'm getting him the classic.

I was asking for your advice on an mp3 player, not family relations, thanks anyway.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Well like I said, he didn't one due to cost (the classic) or because it's too small (the nano).

He didnt want me to spend so much money for the classic and he was trying to save me money. But it is my money and he is worth it, so I'm getting him the classic.

If you put that sentiment on the card I think dad may understand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I was asking for your advice on an mp3 player, not family relations, thanks anyway.

I think he will over joyed you can put days of music on that thing and still never here the same song twice also at that size you can do music in lossless and not tell the difference in sound quality from a CD.

Reaction score
MP3 player compatible with OS X 10.4.11

I am looking for an inexpensive mp3 player that I can use with OS X 10.4.11. I was going to buy an IPOD shuffle until I found out that it is not compatible with the operating system. My budget is very limited, so any suggestions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am looking for an inexpensive mp3 player that I can use with OS X 10.4.11. I was going to buy an IPOD shuffle until I found out that it is not compatible with the operating system. My budget is very limited, so any suggestions?

I don't know anything about other MP3 players, but you didn't post your Mac specs and there is another possibility if you have an Intel Mac.
Snow Leopard is $29 USD and still available from the Apple store. If your Mac can run it (post your specs if you have a question about that) you can update iTunes and use any of the new iPods.

Reaction score
My original choice was an IPOD, but started looking at alternatives because it does not connect to my version of OS X. My main problem is that I use software that does not work on Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.