Mac account name change

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my problem.
(I wanted to rename my Mac username from "Flipsound" to "delvalle").

- So I logged into the (root)
- Went to "Macintosh HD -> users" and see the (House icon named "Flipsound")
- Then renamed the (House icon) from "Flipsound" to "delvalle"

Now I reboot and log into my main account (as usual). It now seems as though my Mac has reverted back to the default factory settings. Desktop has changed, my folders are empty etc..

BUT, when I now go "Macintosh HD -> users", I now see 2 icons. 1 (House icon named "Flipsound"). And 1 folder named "delvalle". If I doubleclick "delvalle" I here see my movies, pictures etc as it was before.

All I wanted to do was rename "Flipsound" to "delvalle" so that I could get rid of the "Flipsound" name.

Please, what do I do in order to get things back to the way it used to be with the name being "delvalle" and not "Flipsound"???

Thanks,

Kevin del Valle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Have a look at this link from Apple on changing user name and how important it is to back up prior to taking this step. Also what operating system are you using as you did not provide that information:-

OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.