Macbook Advice for high schooler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, iPhone4
I have a 16 yo daughter with an HP laptop that has crashed for the final time. I can replace it with another hp like device for a couple hundred bucks to get her through high school or I can upgrade to Apple Macbook, or Air.

I found an off lease refurbished White Macbook for 499 with 2 gb ram, Intel Core 2 Duo, and 320 gb hd with a90 warranty.

The most complex work she is doing now is in all AP classes using MS Office. Regardless of what I do now I am sure she will need a new machine when she goes to college in 2014.

I am leaning toward the White Macbook for the price and to get rid of the last remaining PC in my house. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I am a freshman in highschool and have a white MacBook 13" but with the Core Duo instead of Core 2 Duo processor and I love it. I do basic programming on mine as well as use it for notes, powerpoints etc. and it is perfect. The core 2 duo model you were looking at will deffinetly last her through highschool is it was well taken care of. The only thing that "broke" on mine is the headphone jack but that might have been my fault :p and it still sorta works anyways. I'd buy her the white macbook now and then when she goes to college get her an Air or pro. By then Intel may launch an i9 processor (i heard one should come out in at least few years) and then you will be able to buy a new i7 MacBook for cheaper. Unless she likes to play a lot of games or run demanding programs a completely stock Core 2 Duo MacBook will be perfect.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, iPhone4
Thanks. I appreciate the response. I think the white MB is a good choice for her. The HP has been a problem since day one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
My boy is still using his MacBook which he got new in late 2006. The thing looks all beat to ****, but it has never so much as hiccuped. If the one you are looking at as been reasonably well cared for, your daughter will be a happy camper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.