Using Flash Drive

Reaction score
self taught macbook user trying to use a flashdrive .
never used one no instructions or control shows up .
how do i load it with a pdf i got to fix my flatscreen TV ?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
self taught macbook user trying to use a flashdrive .
never used one no instructions or control shows up .
how do i load it with a pdf i got to fix my flatscreen TV ?

I assume you are talking about a USB Thumbdrive.

If it doesn't show up on your display as a drive after plugging it into your USB port then it may be dead (apparently there is a high failure rate on Thumbdrives), or may need to be formatted.

To format, open Disk Utility and select the Thumbdrive, choose Erase and select either FAT32 (if you plan on using on your Mac and on PCs) or Mac OS Extended Journaled (if you don't).

After it is formatted it should show and you double click on the drive icon to open a Finder window. You can copy or just drag and drop files at that point.

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you ! it must be trashed , i'll have to get a different one . and some earplugs , so the thinking stays in . then cap it with the other one ! i don't seem to get this message back to you , it tells me to add more to it . i'll keep trying .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
You can also check if it shows up on the left side of finder (there are preferences that you can check off) but I usually make sure I check Disk utility and or image capture (not sure if a usb shows there often)

OP
A
Reaction score
nada there for me
just Macintosh HD
and Network which is empty

thanks again
working on learning here
but it is a slow process

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I edited the title of the thread to something more descriptive since your user name doesn't tell us much. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.