Adding text to a PDF in OSX?

Reaction score
I realize there is another PDF thread here, but that's for changing already-existant words... I just want to add text.

I have a bunch of PDFs that are forms that are meant to be filled out. Generally I'd just print them and do it by hand, but the person I'm doing them for wants them typed on a computer.

Does anyone know how to do this? I downloaded a program called "Skim" that someone recommended, but am having problems. I can only figure out how to add "notes." Even if I drop the opacity of these down to 0 (so the background behind shows through), the the text still has a black box around it. I only want the text!

Please let me know how I can do this... I'm on a tight deadline for this and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Drag one of the Forms to the dock and drop on Preview, it will open up with the Form showing, type "control + command + t" then drag a text box where you want to type. You may have to change the font, color and size of the text from Previews Tool menu by selection "Show Fonts" or typing command + t. Once you are done click outside of the text box and move on to the next place you need to type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If the end user is using Acrobat Reader then they cannot fill in Acrobat forms, well they can fill them in but not save and resend the form.

However, if you have acrobat Pro 9 and the users download Acrobat Reader 9 or above it can be done.

Select "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" from the "Advanced" menu in Acrobat Pro

Reaction score
Drag one of the Forms to the dock and drop on Preview, it will open up with the Form showing, type "control + command + t" then drag a text box where you want to type. You may have to change the font, color and size of the text from Previews Tool menu by selection "Show Fonts" or typing command + t. Once you are done click outside of the text box and move on to the next place you need to type.

Thank you Pomeroy for that great insight. Is there a way to control the box size to be always the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.