iCloud email

Reaction score
I have a gmail address I've been using for a few years now. I recently bought and iPhone 4 and I'm trying to get it tied into everything I use, and I prefer the calendar and mail apps to gmail's interface, but is there any reason for me to create a new icloud @me email address in addition to or instead of my old gmail address? I hate having to go around and update my information, and my Apple account is already under an even older email address. Are there any significant benefits to the @me account?

C

chas_m

Not a HUGE difference, but the iCloud email address doesn't scan your mail looking for ad keywords, nor does it append an ad on every email. Some of us think that's a significant difference, others not.

OTOH, GMail does have some features in their web interface (like labels, direct GTalk connection, etc) that aren't used in iCloud's web interface.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you enter your gmail details into the iPhone it uses the same interface for mail, calendar, contacts as iCloud would, rather than going into the web interface. So if that's your only deciding factor there's little value in switching.

chas_m:
Is the appending an ad to each email a US thing? Never had that happen in the UK.

C

chas_m

chas_m:
Is the appending an ad to each email a US thing? Never had that happen in the UK.

You may be right -- I just checked a couple of gmails sent by friends. Perhaps I have that confused with the web-browser view, or Yahoo/Hotmail/AOL/the rest of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.