Dropped! How much is my Summer 2011 MBP worth now?

Reaction score
My 15" MBPro 2GHz, 4 GB ram, 750 GB HD, HiRez screen, with Applecare was dropped from the back of an SUV onto the asphalt below. Everything still works flawlessly and there is no problem closing the screen, but there is some separation on the bottom where the main aluminum meets the attached aluminum bottom plate that is held on with screws. I have had it since June 2011 and have taken good care of it. I am sure that this is not covered by Applecare and I am sick that this happened. I am thinking about selling it and using the money to buy a brand new one and eating the cost. Can you tell me either what you think it is worth or how much you would be willing to buy it for if you were in the market (I don't mean that I am entertaining offers just yet, just trying to get an idea of the impact on its value) Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Get on eBay and look to see what others are selling a like machine for. Also, have you looked into having a new bottom case put on. Perhaps that may be less costly than selling it and getting new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I would look into fixing it. These days you can go on craigslist and find an i5 MacBook Pro for $500 (no exaggerating as I'm actually buying one for that much) So it probably isn't going to go for much. However, I just sold (in the middle of transaction actually) my 2006 white MacBook 13" with 2gb RAM and 320gb HDD for $600 so you may be able to get a good coin for it still. IDK it is really all up to you if you think you can sell it for a good price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would look into fixing it. These days you can go on craigslist and find an i5 MacBook Pro for $500 (no exaggerating as I'm actually buying one for that much) So it probably isn't going to go for much. However, I just sold (in the middle of transaction actually) my 2006 white MacBook 13" with 2gb RAM and 320gb HDD for $600 so you may be able to get a good coin for it still. IDK it is really all up to you if you think you can sell it for a good price.

I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone is legitimately selling an "i5" MacBook Pro for $500. If they are it's a "phishing" scam.

You've proven this yourself. If you sold a 2006 MacBook for $600...why in the world would someone sell a MUCH better & newer MacBook Pro for $500??

I know the used Macintosh market pretty well. If there are any i5 MacBook Pro's for sale in the United States on Craig's List...there's probably only 1-2...and they're most likely stolen.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 on the advice to look at getting it repaired.

I would make an appointment with genius bar at your local Apple Store and let them do a diagnostic check and give you a repair quote. Possibly will be far more cost effective than selling and rebuying, especially if you add the cost of 2nd Applecare purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.