Macbook Pro Late 2006 ram upgrade up to 4GB?

Reaction score
The macstore phone assitant wasn't sure about if my Macbook Pro Late 2006 can handle up to 4GB of RAM or not. So I'm asking you guys.
I got the following MacBook Pro (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications
from her and It says RAM mem upgrades is just up to 3GB. But macstore assitant said If your mac has two ram slots It could possbly handle 4GB.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
According to MacTracker, you can put in 4GB but only 3GB will be addressed. In other words, your max is 3GB.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thakyou so much really helped the RAM memory addressing information. But I have another issue:
Do you know If in order to upgrade my RAM. Do I need to buy two 2GB ram DIMMs or Just my current 1GB and buy one 2GB DIMM to add it. I'm short on $ so I need to know before buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
For reasons that are still a little unclear to me, I have successfully installed 4 gig of ram on my late 2006 MacBook. The technical specs informed me that I could only install 2 gig, but a member here informed me that it could actually cope with 3.25 gig. I went ahead and purchased 2 x 2 gig replacement ram modules and put them in, expecting to get the 3.25 gig. I am happy to find that all 4 gig is now showing as being installed and operating normally. I don't know why this is, but it worked for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I went ahead and purchased 2 x 2 gig replacement ram modules and put them in, expecting to get the 3.25 gig. I am happy to find that all 4 gig is now showing as being installed and operating normally. I don't know why this is, but it worked for me.

If you go to "About This Mac"...it will show 4gig installed. But if you go to "Activity Monitor", and click on the "System Memory" tab...under the "pie-chart" what number is there?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another cuestion aside. Do you advise an upgrade witn 3.35 Gig to Lion?

Sure...your MBP meets the requirements.

- Nick

Reaction score
Using 4GB RAM in late 2006 MacBok Pro 2N,1

If you go to "About This Mac"...it will show 4gig installed. But if you go to "Activity Monitor", and click on the "System Memory" tab...under the "pie-chart" what number is there?

- Nick

I agree with your point. I have 4GB installed and it says 4GB in "About This Mac" button but in Activity Monitor it shows only 3 GB of Ram installed & my Ram used" tonight shows up at 2.13GB.
The reason I am adding to this older thread is an idea for making use of that extra Ram by creating a 1 GB Ram Drive which is temporary and add it to the Virtual Memory. Has anyone ever tried this or would know how to do it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Even if it were possible to create a RAM Disk on a Mac - and I have not checked to see if there is any software available for OS X to do this or not - you are not going to create one from the 1 GB of memory that is not being used.

Only 3 GB of memory is addressable - that is a hardware limitation of our (yes, I have a late '06 model) MBP. A RAM disk can only be created from addressable memory. So, to create one, it would be created from and would reduce the current available memory.

You can always search and see if someone has developed the software required for OS X.
Personally, think it'd be pretty much a waste of time for anyone with only 4 GB of RAM or less in their machines - especially with 10.7 or 10.8.
A hard core gamer with 8GB or more of RAM, might be a worth while look into it.

Reaction score
Thank you for clarifying the 3 GB limit of addressable RAM. Of course, you are spot on about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.