Installing software troubles...

O

oroszi

Hi out there!
I just got, for the first time, a Mac computer (ibook g4)
I am trying to install some software as quarkxpress and adobe, but I have no idea what to do. It is asking me for a default application to open (or run) the software. What should I do? It's my first Mac!!!! Thank you!!!!!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I can't remember, what exactly the prompt window says, but choosing open should do the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
click on the little hard drive icon on the desktop
then either double click on the icon if its an installer if not drag the icon to the apps folder

OP
T

Tel

Sounds like its an unknown file extension to me. Are you installing from a CD? What is the name and extension of the file you are trying to execute?

OP
O

oroszi

Thanks to all of you!
Here's more details... Software are on a cd, extensions are .sit (adobe indesign) an the other one from quarkxpress is a unix excutable file, actually the file name is installer. So when I click either the installer or the .sit file, it ask me for a default application, or it tells me that it's inable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable. Help!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
O

oroszi

Thank you again!
I have it! But can you explane me how do I make it work?
I know that I am asking stupid things, but I never own a mac before.... Thanks!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's no problem, I didn't even know how to restart/shutdown my mac, when I first got mine.

Double click on the file downloaded, then double click on the icon "StuffIt Expander Installer". Then go through the installation process. The application should then associate all the .sit files on your mac to itself.

Post back, if you still need more steps.

OP
O

oroszi

Thank you iWhat! It works perfectly, I finally install Adobe Indesign... however when I double click the quarxpress and adobe illustrator installer, it do not work, and it ask for this famous default application to run it. I try to do it under a classic enviroment, but same results! Help again!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
S

supremeoverlord

What version of adobe Illustrator and Quark are you trying to install? are they the Mac version? There is a big difference between the windows and mac version and they will only run on the designed OS. If they are the windows versions you can call up adobe and Quark and ask if they will exchange them for the other OS versions

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
supremeoverlord said:
What version of adobe Illustrator and Quark are you trying to install? are they the Mac version? There is a big difference between the windows and mac version and they will only run on the designed OS. If they are the windows versions you can call up adobe and Quark and ask if they will exchange them for the other OS versions

Yeah, that might be the case. I'm still not sure what is going, but if you post a screenshot of your desktop, we might better understand what is going on. You shouldn't still be having all these problems.

OP
O

oroszi

The versions are for mac and quarxpress 6.0 and illustrator 11.
Here are the screenshots....

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

OP
S

supremeoverlord

Is this legal software or a burned copy from somewhere? Sometimes if they aren't burned correctly they will make files all unix-y and you won't be able to use them... And stealing software is bad... Not that you are but that disc name doesn't look like a Quark CD name....

OP
O

oroszi

No, I do not steal software! I have it from a friend ( he may did...), and it looks legal to me. I mean it has its cd cover, its serial etc etc. Now if you asking me where it came from... I have no Idea! If it's stolen there's nothing I can do now... I guess I have to give up then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
of course its a copy there is a file for the serial number in the screen shot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.