Win7 wont read osX disc

Reaction score
I've installed windows 7 ultimate 32-bit onto my partition and ive updated it as far as i can go but when i try to insert my OSX install DvD to get the drivers and bootcamp assistant thing it just wont read the disc. It says there is no disc in the drive whatsoever. Is there a way to fix or bypass this? Never had this problem in the past (and yes the disc is clean and scratch free)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac is this on? It should read the Windows 7 DVD. Is this Windows 7 Ultimate DVD a factory DVD and not a disk that comes with another computer?

Since you were able to install Windows 7, the drive should be fine.

OP
T
Reaction score
What Mac is this on? It should read the Windows 7 DVD. Is this Windows 7 Ultimate DVD a factory DVD and not a disk that comes with another computer?

It's on a macbook pro, but it read the windows disc fine that's not the issue.

It wont read my osX install DVD when i try and install the mac drivers and stuff onto windows

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I guess I am tired and it's late! :D

If you boot into OSX, does the OSX DVD read fine in OSX? Not sure what is going on as I have never seen that issue myself.

What I wanted to type and ask is what OSX DVD is this? Retail or one that came with your MBP? The OSX DVD has a part formatted in FAT32 with the Windows drivers on it.

OP
T
Reaction score
I guess I am tired and it's late! :D

If you boot into OSX, does the OSX DVD read fine in OSX? Not sure what is going on as I have never seen that issue myself.

What I wanted to type and ask is what OSX DVD is this? Retail or one that came with your MBP? The OSX DVD has a part formatted in FAT32 with the Windows drivers on it.

It's actually not, which is odd. It reads the windows installation disc fine for it to install bootcamp but then it doesn't read the osX disc or a cd i tried

It's the osX disc that came with the Laptop

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds like maybe the optical drive is having issues with some DVD's/CD's. Is your OSX Disk a Retail or a Gray one that came with your MBP?

If the OSX DVD is not reading even in OSX, I would say Optical drive is getting picky.

I would say try an external USB DVD drive if you have one.

OP
T
Reaction score
That sounds like maybe the optical drive is having issues with some DVD's/CD's. Is your OSX Disk a Retail or a Gray one that came with your MBP?

If the OSX DVD is not reading even in OSX, I would say Optical drive is getting picky.

So does that mean new op drive? =(

OP
T
Reaction score

Unfortunately i don't =/

Is there any way to download the drivers and stuff in a package?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Could be a failing optical drive. But, try taking a can of compressed air, and after shutting down the machine, shoot 2-3 quick blasts into the slot in different directions. Wait 30 seconds before you turn it back on. I've been doing this on my '06 model about once a year to bring it back to life when it starts having problems.

Mine usually starts having problems with DVD discs and still reads CD discs fine.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem... and from what I have read online, it appears this is not uncommon. I doubt it is the drive.

I installed everything beautifully, but when I insert the OSX disc that came with my Mac Pro (per the apple instructions), it won't recognize the disk. Says it has 0kb on it.

When I watch videos of people doing this on Youtube it auto-launches and works fine.

One post suggested I update my Windows7 software as their was a hotfix to address this issue specifically.. so I spent 45 mins and did that. Still doesn't work.

Like many people I have seen, I would just love for apple to let us download the drivers and move on (just like you can do with printers, scanners, etc..) but for some reason I have seen that referred to as "illegal" on forums unless apple provides them to you. i am sure there is a huge black market for Mac drivers on Windows :)

So, I have a Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, iMac 24" and Windows on my Mac Pro will recognize NONE of the startup disk.

What gets stranger is when I open those disc on using the OSX, I don't see bootcamp in the utilities folder as it says online. Could the problem be that simple? The files aren't on the disk that Windows can use? Very confusing... (and no, I don't live near an apple store).

I feel helpless...

I have no idea how I am going to get the drivers installed into Windows 7 at this point short of calling apple and paying for a discussion.

Reaction score
And by the way, my Mac Pro is about 1 year old and my Macbook Pro is only 3 months old... so the disc are current.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A MacBook Pro that is only three months old can only run Windows 7 which means that its install disk does not contain the proper drivers. The Boot Camp assistant will specifically tell you to download a driver image from Apple and burn it to a disk. Why don't you try that first? You then should be able to use the same disk with your Mac Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.