Can't backup on Time Machine

Reaction score
I recently reinstalled OSX Leopard and I haven't been able to back up using Time machine since I only have 100GB left on my external drive and my MacBook Pro has a 200GB drive. The thing is that it is apparently trying to back up ALL of my computer instead of backing up only the most recent changes like it should be doing (right?). So I enter Time Machine and I have no backups (They're there. I see them when I enter my drive through Finder). What I noticed is my computer's name has a (2) next to it. I believe when I reinstalled and rebooted from my last backup my computer's name changed and now it won't continue with my last backups. Can I change my name back to its original?

Thx!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Leopard does an Archive and Install by default. Do you have a folder with the old installation on the drive? If you do and you've removed and copied everything from it you need the folder can be deleted. And yes, you can change the name of the machine back to the original and get rid of the (2). Just don't attempt to change the name of your home folder.

OP
S
Reaction score
Leopard does an Archive and Install by default. Do you have a folder with the old installation on the drive? If you do and you've removed and copied everything from it you need the folder can be deleted. And yes, you can change the name of the machine back to the original and get rid of the (2). Just don't attempt to change the name of your home folder.
Umm do you mean on the external drive or on my computer?
What I have on the external drive is all the backups before the re-installation of Leopard. On my computer I don't have any folder with the old installation. I just migrated everything automatically with the option given there after re-installation.
So how can I change the name? Will it help any?

Thx

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry. This is a repost of a previous thread. I didn't get a solution and only one comment. Hope someone else sees this and can help:

I recently reinstalled OSX Leopard and I haven't been able to back up using Time machine since I only have 100GB left on my external drive and my MacBook Pro has a 200GB drive. The thing is that it is apparently trying to back up ALL of my computer instead of backing up only the most recent changes like it should be doing (right?). So I enter Time Machine and I have no backups (They're there. I see them when I enter my drive through Finder). What I noticed is my computer's name has a (2) next to it. I believe when I reinstalled and rebooted from my last backup my computer's name changed and now it won't continue with my last backups. Can I change my name back to its original?

Thx!

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, third and last try. Re-reposting this hoping someone can help:

Sorry. This is a repost of a previous thread. I didn't get a solution and only one comment. Hope someone else sees this and can help:

.................................................. ......................

Thx!
scarna is online now Add to scarna's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, third and last try. Re-reposting this hoping someone can help:

.................................................. ......................

Thx!
scarna is online now Add to scarna's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How many times are you going to post this? Only post one time and continue posting to the same thread. You can bump your post by replying to original and that will bring it to the top. No reason to redundantly post the same thing three time.

Thanks for your future cooperation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.