Booting to Bootcamp Win 7 on External Drive

Reaction score
Hi;

Here's my problem: a while ago I installed a larger HDD in my iMac. Ikept my old drive (which is working fine) and placed it A NexStore external drive holder. On the old HDD is Win 7 under Bootcamp (it was also working). When I boot the new HDD with the old HDD in the NexStore, and hold down the Option key I can see and boot to all drive partitions except the Bootcamp Win 7 on the external HDD. I can see the external Win 7 from the new drive and the old one . I am using Lion on the new drive and S L on the old one.
So, does anyone know any method to enable a boot to the external Bootcamp ?

Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was hoping it would be different with Windows 7, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Microsoft has improved their bootloader. Unfortunately, this isn't a limitation of Boot Camp per se, but one of Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I was hoping it would be different with Windows 7, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Microsoft has improved their bootloader. Unfortunately, this isn't a limitation of Boot Camp per se, but one of Windows - it doesn't like being installed on an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
I am rather new to OS X .
But in linux we have a trick for this called drive mapping .
With drive mapping we fooled windows and let here believe that is on what they called the c: drive .
In linux it works perfect .
As I am new to OS X I can not come further than a hint .
Try to find how to map a drive in OS X

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several work arounds which will allow Windows to boot from an external device, however, none of them are in accordance with the MS EULA including your Linux trick. Therefore we do not discuss them in these forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.