ATV Causing Loss of Internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
My new iMac is humming along and I finally got iTunes set up the way I like it and syncing with my iPhone and iPod Touch. Now I run into a new issue.

I went to watch my 2nd Gen Apple TV (wireless) while streaming a program from iTunes. I have a new router I've been using for a couple of months (Linksys E4200) and it has been working great. I should also mention that my iMac is connected by wireless as well as my printer (not sure if that will matter)

Anyway, after about 5 minutes of watching my program I lost my internet connection. I went downstairs (located right under my ATV) and my router had lost connection and the PC Link light was out on my modem.

I unplugged my router for 30 seconds, reconnected and it eventually was working again.

Back to watching my program and again about 5-10 minutes into the viewing I lost the connection again. Same thing when I went downstairs.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I stopped using my ATV and haven't lost the connection in 2 hours.

Would a router firmware upgrade fix this or could it be something else?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, OS X Mavericks, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch Gen 3, Apple TV Gen 2.
Guess I'm not the only one stumped by this issue. I'll keep checking back.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My guess is it's the router but not having any experience with the brand I can't really comment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hmmm. The 5 to 10 minutes issue is similar to mine. I don't have ATV but I have iMac and iPhone wireless.
Look at my recent post in the OSX forum. 'Is iTunes/iOS causing connection problems?'

I'm beginning to think it might be a Mail conflict as it polls for emails every 10 minutes.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to update, I think the problem has been solved.

I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with Linksys support last night and made a few changes to my router configuration.

After using Apple TV for about 30 minutes it seemed to be working properly with no loss of internet connection.

I'm hoping that will fix my issue for good or my next stop will be the local Best Buy to get an Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Just to update, I think the problem has been solved.

I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with Linksys support last night and made a few changes to my router configuration.

After using Apple TV for about 30 minutes it seemed to be working properly with no loss of internet connection.

I'm hoping that will fix my issue for good or my next stop will be the local Best Buy to get an Airport Extreme.

Hi-

I'm new and am having the same problem, only my connection doesn't even last 5-10 minutes. Maybe 5 mins. I get kicked off the internet, have to reset the modem and router (linksys).

I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad, and just got an ATV from best buy.

What phone # did you call for help with linksys?

thx:Blushing:

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just called the regular Linksys Canada Tech Support toll free number and they helped me change my settings.

To be honest, I haven't even used my Apple TV since that night where we seemed to get the issue fixed so I don't know if it really solved the problem or not. Guess I'll have to try it again soon to be sure.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to update again...I tried using my ATV today and the same problems happened. Watched movie for about 5 minutes and then I lost my wireless connection.

I checked all of my wireless devices and none of them had wireless. Checked my router and the Cisco light on top was off and again a light on my modem was out. It's just rendering my router useless until I unplug it, plug it back in and allow it to sort itself out and work again.

To say I'm angry is an understatement. If I could hard wire to my ATV I would try that but it's upstairs and my router is right beneath it in the basement.

This only ever happens with the ATV. The wireless router works fine with everything else and never drops the signal.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just bought a new wireless modem router (Belkin Play N600DB), got connected and got my usual drop outs.

Then decided to change from the 2.4ghz band to to the 5ghz band and guess what..no dropouts.

Give it a try if you haven't already.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try that but will try it again. I have reset the router and will unplug the ATV and then restart it to see if that helps at all. I may try a factory restore on the ATV as well if this doesn't work. After that my next step is to take my ATV and either use it for target practice or send it back to Apple in pieces and tell them what a piece of crap it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try that but will try it again. I have reset the router and will unplug the ATV and then restart it to see if that helps at all. I may try a factory restore on the ATV as well if this doesn't work. After that my next step is to take my ATV and either use it for target practice or send it back to Apple in pieces and tell them what a piece of crap it is.

Woahh don't get the air rifle out just yet!

Factory restore the ATV and then take it out of the equation.
Get everything up and running on the different frequency but do a firmware update on the router then add the ATV back in.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the latest firmware installed on my router so that most likely isn't the issue. I'll try a factory restore on the ATV and see if that does anything to fix things. If it does, I'll likely never update it again if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just dawned on me....Father Christmas might be bringing me an ATV2!

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope you have better luck than me. It used to work fantastic but upgrading the sotware and a switch in routers and something has really messed it up. I can live without it but it would be nice to have it working as advertised once again.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried a factory restore on the ATV but it didn't solve the issue.

I've exhausted the knowledge I have on how to fix this. So for now the ATV will be unplugged, placed back in the box and put in the back of a closet until I can figure out what I can do next to rectify this frustrating conundrum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably wise before you blow a gasket.

Just a thought..did you check your interconnects? These can sometimes be bad or the wrong specs. Also, you mentioned earlier that all your devices would dropout.
My problems appear to have been my cordless phones operating at 2.4gHZ.

Have you got one nearby by any chance? It is a common problem.

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do have a phone nearby but its been here for a long time and never caused issues before so I can't imagine it is the culprit but maybe it doesn't play will with the new router.

I have the ATV set up for 5GHz so I don't think that should be a problem.

The ATV is the only thing that knocks my network offline. My computers, printer, iPhone, iPod Touch all work fine with no issues. It's only when I use the ATV that it cuts out my internet.

I've only had this router a few months and it cost $170 so I hate to have to try a new one but perhaps I'll get an Airport Extreme and see if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But is your iMac hooked up to the 5gHZ network or is it still on the 2.4gHZ ? They should be simultaneous with different SSID's and Channels. Click the wireless icon on the menu bar and see which one is ticked.
I looked at the specs on your router and they are not shabby.

Some of the senior guys on here have huge experience of AE and similar connection issues. I did consider going that route myself but I still thought that my original w/less modem and router was the problem and I was right in the end.

Have a look at this lot! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference_at_2.4_GHz

OP
Bundy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac is hooked up to 2.4GHz. Not sure if they're different SSID's and Channels. That's likely beyond my scope of expertise. I wonder if changing some settings in my ATV will have a positive effect.

I'm leaning towards the AE router to see if that will solve the issues. My brother has an AE and he runs his ATV no problem with his iMac, iPhones and iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac is hooked up to 2.4GHz. Not sure if they're different SSID's and Channels. That's likely beyond my scope of expertise. I wonder if changing some settings in my ATV will have a positive effect.

I'm leaning towards the AE router to see if that will solve the issues. My brother has an AE and he runs his ATV no problem with his iMac, iPhones and iPad.

Ok mate.

Your iMac though should show which band your are connected to by clicking the wi-fi icon on the menu bar top right.The router broadcasts the 2 bands simultaneously.

If there is a 5gHZ one showing unchecked then tick it to join. It's what solved the problem for my constant drop-outs but then, I've not got an ATV in the equation yet.

It was my iMac that needed to be on 5gHz and everything else I'm hooking up (printer, iPhone, iPad, smartphone) appears to want to opt for the 2.4gHZ band)

Hope you get sorted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.