Upgrading iBookG4 to Leopard 10.5.8

Reaction score
Before I continue to lose my mind over this issue, if someone can steer me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. I want to use an iBook G4 to manage iTunes and a new 6th generation iPod nano. From what I can tell from Apple, the minimum OS requirement is Leopard 10.5.8 -- the current OS on the iBook G4 is Tiger. I have found an aftermarket full-install Leopard, which the guy selling it says is 10.5.6, which is a new one on me. If that is true, and I buy his box, will Apple Software Update auto-update it to 10.5.8? Or have they abandoned all support to anything earlier than Snow Leopard? The nano won't work without 10.5.8 and I believe that is as new an OS that will operate on a pre-Intel mac. Am I on the right track?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Before I continue to lose my mind over this issue, if someone can steer me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. I want to use an iBook G4 to manage iTunes and a new 6th generation iPod nano. From what I can tell from Apple, the minimum OS requirement is Leopard 10.5.8 -- the current OS on the iBook G4 is Tiger. I have found an aftermarket full-install Leopard, which the guy selling it says is 10.5.6, which is a new one on me. If that is true, and I buy his box, will Apple Software Update auto-update it to 10.5.8? Or have they abandoned all support to anything earlier than Snow Leopard? The nano won't work without 10.5.8 and I believe that is as new an OS that will operate on a pre-Intel mac. Am I on the right track?
Make sure they are the retail disks, BLACK.

OEM disks will be GRAY or SILVER and will be useless to you. And, you are correct that 10.5.8 is the maximum OS for all but the very earliest model iBook G4, which Apple says maxes out at Tiger 10.4.11.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yikes! How can I tell if mine is or isn't the oldes iBookG4? It is a white 1.07Ghz processor running 10.4.11, Does that sound like a newer version? What a pain!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yikes! How can I tell if mine is or isn't the oldes iBookG4? It is a white 1.07Ghz processor running 10.4.11, Does that sound like a newer version? What a pain!

You are fine with the 1.07 GHz to run Leopard 10.5.8.

As far as how you can know, MacTracker APP is a wonderful resource for researching Mac specs.

OP
L
Reaction score
You are fine with the 1.07 GHz to run Leopard 10.5.8.

As far as how you can know, MacTracker APP is a wonderful resource for researching Mac specs.

Thanks so much. I will proceed. Just one other thing -- wouldn't the only two versions available of Leopard at retail have been 10.5 and later 10.5.8? I find it hard to believe that there was a box with 10.5.6, which my seller thought he had

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much. I will proceed. Just one other thing -- wouldn't the only two versions available of Leopard at retail have been 10.5 and later 10.5.8? I find it hard to believe that there was a box with 10.5.6, which my seller thought he had

Not where I can check right now, but I have a Leopard retail set. I'll try to remember to check what revision it is when I get home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And make doubly sure before parting with your readies the DVD is a black disc, not silver/gray model specific which will not install. Cost should be around or above the $100 mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.