Wired keyboard questions

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm thinking of getting the wired keyboard with my future iMac purchase, and I have some questions regarding it. How do you switch between regular F keys and brightness, mission control, etc., without an Fn key? Does it feel better in terms of key-travel/touch than the wireless one? Is it a comfortable keyboard?

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
With the wired keyboard there's no need to use Fn since all the keys you need for brightness, etc, are provided. I have both the wired and wireless versions of the Apple aluminum keyboard and much prefer the wired version.

As far as switching the function of the keys, with the wired keyboard you can change the settings in System Preferences, Keyboard.

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh, I just noticed that there is an Fn key after all, just on top of the forward delete key, instead of its usual location on the lower left. I find that to be a very nice and functional layout ;) I'll definitely be getting the wired version, the addition of a numeric pad, along with the dedicated forward delete, home, end, page up and down, etc. keys. Not to mention the bigger keys overall (arrow keys, control, shift, command, etc.).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you get the wired version, don't ever throw it away if, in the future, you become seduced by the wireless version.

The reason is that in the unlucky circumstance that you cannot boot the system because of corrupted files or whatever, you often lose the wireless capability and therefore can't enter any of the other booting modes. That's where a wired keyboard becomes essential.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes. Virtually any wired KB would do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.