Forced quit in Finder no longer sidebar option

Reaction score
I won’t bore you with all the details but my “Force quit” option no longer works. When I click it I get a full screen that lists the applications I’m on, rather than the sidebar I used to get which let me click off applications I wanted closed. Now I just get a static full screen. Is there a way to reset or reboot force quit so it’s back to the way it’s supposed to be?

Let me know. Appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Force Quit from the Sidebar?

Might help someone if you tell us what you think a "sidebar" is, and give us the OS you're using.

OP
H
Reaction score
How to restore force quit to its default, initial dialog setting?

Operating system 10.6.8. When I hit the force quit dialog, there used to be a "sidebar" a little list on the right side of the command that listed the applications I had open. Now when I hit the dialog button for force quit, I get a full screen that lists the applications, but it's static, there's no way to click off any applications.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What keys you hitting? Here even in Lion, Option+Command+ESCAPE brings up the force quit menu.

OP
H
Reaction score

What keys you hitting? Here even in Lion, Option+Command+ESCAPE brings up the force quit menu.

If I hit those keys I get the same full static screen that I get when I hit force quit in the finder dialog list. The page that force quit takes me to is a static full screen that lists the applications but does not give me a way to delete any of them from that screen.

Previously, if I hit force quit, I would get a list of applications on the side of the dialog box with the option to delete an app. NO more

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you know how to take a Screen Shot in OSX? Command+Shift+3 takes the whole screen and Command+Shift+4 gives you cross hairs you can select the area.

Can you take a screen shot of that screen and attach it to a message here? I have never seen that in all my years of OSX and many macs.

OP
H
Reaction score

Do you know how to take a Screen Shot in OSX? Command+Shift+3 takes the whole screen and Command+Shift+4 gives you cross hairs you can select the area.

Can you take a screen shot of that screen and attach it to a message here? I have never seen that in all my years of OSX and many macs.

Thanks for your interest. Attached is the screen shot I get however I try to access the force quit function -- from the Finder dialog box and with the shortcut key.

If you can help me with this glitch, my hat is off to you. I've surfed the web and tried a few tangential things.

Screen shot 2011-11-20 at 4.35.59 PM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying if you select say Firefox or Word from that list, that Relaunch button does not turn into Force Quit? That is the exact screen I posted but yours is set to full screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you saying if you select Firefox or Word from that list that the Relaunch does not change into Force Quit? That is the same screen I get here except yours is set for Full Screen.

Screen Shot 2011-11-20 at 3.55.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2011-11-20 at 3.56.28 PM.png

OP
H
Reaction score

Are you saying if you select Firefox or Word from that list that the Relaunch does not change into Force Quit? That is the same screen I get here except yours is set for Full Screen.

When I hit relaunch from there, there is no change. The screen remains the same full screen, static. It says force quit on top of the tool bar but it doesn't enable you to quit anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please take another screen shot with Firefox highlighted in that Force Quit Screen.

OP
H
Reaction score
Force quit and the new itTunes

Please take another screen shot with Firefox highlighted in that Force Quit Screen.

I see that I can now force quit on the full screen if I hit the button that is on the lower right hand side of screen. It says "relaunch" when I highlight the force quit bar, but says "force quit" when I highlight another application on the list. So, OK. Not as elegant looking as before, when the force quit function would appear and stay on the home page, but it works.

In the process, of my travials, clicking on a software that promised to download songs from youtube to itunes (a too-good-to-be-true claim which turned out to be a devious snare to get one's computer hijacked to Bing), I had to trash and re-install Firefox, which also updated my iTunes to 10.5 (which has its own bug -- not being able to move songs around within a playlist, like earlier versions enabled you to do). I suppose I'll need to downgrade to an earlier iTunes or await the day when the Apple folks fix the bug -- if that is even on their agenda. Ugh.

But, once again, thanks for your help and attention.

Reaction score
Just hit the green button on top left to bring it back down to size.

OP
H
Reaction score
Pomeroy: Pressing the green button top left does absolutely nothing to the screen. Of course, I tried that before. Thanks for the attention, however. I appreciate it.

The thing I've found on looking for answers to my various glitches -- is that so many "cures" or "fixes" are blind alleys. Must be because of the nuances/differences in the various configurations of the operating systems. For instance, I tried five suggested "fixes" to get i-tunes 10-5-1 (42) to allow me to move songs around within a playlist and they simply don't work, probably did on an earlier version of iTunes (I had no trouble at all doing it on my old version of iTunes, which got lost in the shuffle of getting rid of Bing and reloading Firefox).

Ah, the joys and sorrows of being a Mac user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.