Group contacts now duplicate

Reaction score
I have 2 groups of contacts
1 - Joint contacts
2 - work contacts

Then there is
All Contacts.

"All contacts" now has at least 2 of every name sometimes 3.
the individual groups are fine - no duplication at all

In "all contacts" - the word iCloud shows in-between <ALL CONTACTS AND EDIT
i.e. <All contacts iCloud Edit
When a contact is Triplicated iCloud shows as indicated above in 2 of the 3 triplicated contacts but the 3rd one has <ALL CONTACTS INFO EDIT >
Has anyone else come across this in this forum or others and if so can you suggest a resolution?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Take a quick look in your:
System Preferences
Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Look to see how many iCloud account entries you have listed on the left side.
My duplicates were fixed when I deleted one of the iCloud Account entries as I knew I only had one iCloud account.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1; Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.4 GHz
Contacts FUBR

Me Too! My Contacts file, synch'd between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone SE are a disaster. Groups are duplicated or triplicated. Individual contacts also are duplicated or triplicated. Some contacts have large numbers of email addresses copied from other contacts, others have large numbers of phone numbers, or addresses, etc. Have tried and failed to upload a screen shot showing several of these problems. Activity monitor shows Contacts hogging CPU [close to 100%!].

View attachment Contacts a disaster!.pdf

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you're using iOS 10.....

Open your contacts app. In the upper left corner you should have "Groups". Tap "Groups" and that should open to another page where your groups are displayed. From that page you can select which groups you wish to display on your SE. Just make sure that the group names are the same as you show on your MacBook Pro. Then when you sync, you can sync by groups and that will avoid the dupes and triplicates. I had the same problem as you until I figured out that I was syncing all my groups together rather than separately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.