Make old drive unbootable?

Reaction score
I just replaced my iMac's internal drive, and now I want to use the old one as an external storage place. So far so good; I could format it, put whatever I want on it, and be done. However, what I want on it is already there, in my Movies folder. Can I just delete all the other files and use it as an external drive, also on another mac, without issues? Or is there another step, like removing a boot flag or whatever? Or am I asking for trouble and should I just take the long route of erase and repopulate?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Typically, when I replace a hard drive, I'll clone the old to the new and then format the old and put it in a case. Sounds like you took the hard route and did a clean install on the new drive.

But barring that, what I would recommend is just copying the movies folder over to the internal, then erase the external and copy it back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.