Apple Dock doesn't show active applications

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have been using my Macbook pro for about an year. It has been working alright until recent when the dock stopped showing my the active applications. Also, I am not able to see any active application (apart from Finder and Google Chrome) when I try to switch between apps using cmd+tab keys.

So for example, if I have msn or skype or excel running in my system, they won't show in the dock also I won't be able to switch between them using cmd+tab keys. The only way I would be able to switch between programs is by clicking on Applications tab in the Dock and then selecting the App, which is time consuming.

Can you please help me sort this issue? Please let me know if you need any further information than the one I mention below:

I am using Mac OS X
Version 10.6.8

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

If this question has been asked already, can you please share the link to it's solution?

Thank you.

- Vic

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you might have some corruption in your current user profile. Try this: Go to accounts and create a new account. Call it "Test" or whatever and assign it Admin privileges. Now test the apps on the dock to see if you have full functionality again. Let us know.

Also... if you've recently installed any dock enhancement software such as the "SuperDocker.app", uninstall it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi chscag :) !

Thanks for your advice. I don't know how, but it seems to have worked. I made a new account and tried to see if the dock works alright in there. It did.

Then I logged back into my main (original) account and Voila! the dock was working fine again.

I have never installed SuperDocker.app, and I will keep it in mind not to. :)

Thanks for your suggestions. :) One may close this thread now. :)

- Vic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If it happens to your first account again, you could replace the dock plist file.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Move it to your Desktop and restart the computer. It will create a new file set to defaults.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.