streaming music

Reaction score
Hello I have an IMac with a 3.4 gh quad processor and 8 g of ram and a vid card with 2 g of it's own memory. I enjoy music rooms and I was wondering if there is a way to stream music properly so I can play tunes in the chat rooms from my Mac?

C

chas_m

without a lot more detail about what you mean by "rooms" and "chat rooms" I really couldn't begin to offer any useful advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello I have an IMac with a 3.4 gh quad processor and 8 g of ram and a vid card with 2 g of it's own memory. I enjoy music rooms and I was wondering if there is a way to stream music properly so I can play tunes in the chat rooms from my Mac?

I'm not sure you can do that if you mean an online chat room.

chas_m is right.

Have you checked out Ping in iTunes?

If you mean streaming it to different rooms in your house then there are quite a few ways of doing it.

Reaction score
Ok - I would be curious to know what apps are out there for hosting streaming audio from the MAC (specifically Leopard). I just figured out how to share iTunes over the LAN at home to another PC with iTunes - that is a very cool native feature. Does anyone know of an app for Android to stream iTunes (yes he said Android on a mac forum)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Playing Music in Chat rooms

I ended up buying a new computer iMac 27" 3.4 G processor and 8 Gbytes of RAM with a Video Card with 2 Gbytes of its own memory. I downloaded Sound Flower bed and started using that. My High speed internet is fine . I use Airport Extreme Wireless Router. However the problem of Breaking while i play the music still persists. I am at a loss here as to why this is happening.

C

chas_m

Still no idea what you mean by "chat rooms."

With respect, maybe you could try directly responding to the comments posted by others so far rather than just repeating your original post, though I do appreciate your posting some stats on your Mac, that's helpful.

OP
S
Reaction score
Definition of a chat room

Ok I am a member of a chat site called paltalk. it is a huge social chat site. There are many different rooms. I like to sign in and enter the music rooms to get new tunes and to chat. I like to play music but every time I try the sound breaks and I cannot figure out why. Does this answer your question? Thanks Shep. I use a program called Paltalk Express built for mac users. If you wish to check out exactly what I mean here is the link Cam to Cam Video Chat for Free | Paltalk

C

chas_m

Ah yes, that's MUCH MUCH better thank you! I had no idea that Paltalk existed, now I understand much better what you are talking about.

Okay so bear with me a little bit Shep, I still have a few questions, but I want to help if I can so if you don't mind:

1. I'm not clear on whether you're streaming music FROM your iMac or TO your iMac and (if the latter) where the music is originating. I imagine you mean you're playing music from (presumably iTunes) on your iMac and sending it wirelessly to some speakers somewhere via the Airport Extreme. Do I have that right?

2. You have a super-powerful machine there and lots of RAM so I'm pretty confident that you're streaming music FROM the iMac then the iMac is *not* the problem. So the next thing I would suspect is the network. Are you using 802.11g or 802.11n? Other than iTunes streaming and the chat, is anything else that might be using bandwidth running in the background? Are you using the video chat or just regular "typing" chat (video of course takes up a lot of bandwidth)?

3. Related to the question about 802.11 -- how old is that Airport Extreme?

If you're using 802.11g and trying to do both music streaming and video chat, that could be the problem right there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Re Info

Hi First of all thanks a lot for trying to help me. I appreciate it very much. My Airport Extreme Router is pretty new. I purchased it last summer. Its a very nice unit. It is the 802.11 N Wi-Fi=. It was Apples top one at the time. What I meant by streaming music? Maybe streaming was the wrong choice of words. When I enter the chat room on Paltalk I just would like to play music from my iTunes into the chat room for other users to listen to.However when I attempt it it works for a minute then it starts to break or skip. Most users play music through their sound cards but Macs can't seem to do that. That is why I downloaded Sound Flower Bed. It is a virtual sound card that allows mac users to play the music in a chat room with out going through the mic. I do understand that using video will deter the quality of the sound because it uses up the bandwidth. When I try and play I do not use my web cam at all. However other users in the chat room have theirs on. I should have sufficient Bandwidth as I pay for High Speed Internet.I will contact my provider and check to see what I have. I am wondering if it could be a router issue.I hope this clears some of the questions .

Reaction score
I have limited experience with MAC but I would def be curious to know what your internet connection is. streaming music doesn't typically take a huge amount of upload and I would think if you had at least 1MB up streaming wouldnt be an issue. The skipping - at first glance - sounds like a bandwidth issue but if you have a PC I would suggest a test from the MS side of the tracks. I think that would help you rule out bandwidth.

The other test is the Router - are you connected to it via wireless or CAT5? If the MAC is connected via wifi, grab an Ethernet cable and plug your MAC in temporarily and try again.

Good luck!!

Hi First of all thanks a lot for trying to help me. I appreciate it very much. My Airport Extreme Router is pretty new. I purchased it last summer. Its a very nice unit. It is the 802.11 N Wi-Fi=. It was Apples top one at the time. What I meant by streaming music? Maybe streaming was the wrong choice of words. When I enter the chat room on Paltalk I just would like to play music from my iTunes into the chat room for other users to listen to.However when I attempt it it works for a minute then it starts to break or skip. Most users play music through their sound cards but Macs can't seem to do that. That is why I downloaded Sound Flower Bed. It is a virtual sound card that allows mac users to play the music in a chat room with out going through the mic. I do understand that using video will deter the quality of the sound because it uses up the bandwidth. When I try and play I do not use my web cam at all. However other users in the chat room have theirs on. I should have sufficient Bandwidth as I pay for High Speed Internet.I will contact my provider and check to see what I have. I am wondering if it could be a router issue.I hope this clears some of the questions .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.