mac os upgrade

Reaction score
hi all can you please advise how i can upgrade my macbook 2006 with os x 10.4.11 to an improved os possible 10.5? any help would be great. regards Jim:Blushing::Blushing:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're looking to update to OS 10.5...check e-Bay for install disks. They're going to cost you about $100 (black colored disk...not the gray ones).

Alternatively...you could buy an OS 10.6 install disk for $29:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

With OS 10.6 installed...and if your MacBook has a core 2 duo cpu...you could upgrade (later if you want) to the latest Mac OS version 10.7.2 for another $29.

You didn't really mention why you want or need to update the OS on your MacBook. But before you do...make sure any applications you're currently using are compatible with the newer OS versions.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do you know if its a model with the Core 2 Duo or Core Duo chip

The Core 2 Duo can be upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6, and then Lion 10.7 if you wish

The models with a Core Duo chip can be upgraded to Snow Leopard

If you are buying discs of ebay or such, avoid the plain gerey machine specific ones and purchase the ones with a snow leopard picture

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi all i am trying to upgrade to allow window office to be added to the mac? Can you please confirm the exact update that i will require from the mac store? The mac has the following spec. 1.83 ghz intel core duo. Memory 512 mb ddr2 sdram? Hope this makes sense?

C

chas_m

1. This means you can only upgrade as far as Snow Leopard. You can buy it on DVD from most Mac dealers for $30.

2. You SERIOUSLY need to add RAM to that machine if you want decent performance out of Microsoft Office (or anything else). I'd suggest maxing out at 2-3GB. Ask the dealer you buy the Snow Leopard disc from about it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks to all- i will definitely be putting extra RAM on when possible? regards Jim

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks to all- i will definitely be putting extra RAM on when possible? regards Jim

One thing to watch out for in buying Snow Leopard is that you get the retail disk set. I say this because a lot of people seem to use eBay as their first source, and with the recent Lion release I can imagine that OEM OS 10.6 disks will be abundant. These will NOT install on your MacBook.

Save yourself the hassle and buy direct from Apple.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.